Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to get rid of Musty&moldy heavy odor from figures?

If vigorous washing has not worked (dishwasher / washing machine inside net bag) maybe spraying them with matt or probably more likely gloss varnish may seal in the smell? You should still be able to paint over the varnish if that's your plan as well. Good luck.

1. Vinegar. Dip them in vinegar, leave to stand for 1/4 of an hour then wipe with a damp Cloth. They will smell of vinegar for a couple of days but that goes.

2. Baking soda. Mix with water to make a paste and cover the figs with that. Let dry and wipe off.

a bit more involved
3. 1 part baking soda, 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts water.
Dip them in the mixture, leave for 1/4 of an hour then wipe away with a wet Cloth.

Thanks Rupert,PB.I will paint some of them. I have 22 sets mostly revell which I will have to clean and get rid of that smell. I will try baking soda first then vinegar.and if that will not work I will add lime.also is there reason why they need to be soaked in vinegar 1/4 of hour? Can it be soaked longer? Or it will damage plastic if soaked in vinegar longer?.thanks for info.best regards.

They can be left in vinegar for longer but it´s not necessary, overnight if you want, 5 mins would do but 15 mins is better. I´ve left figs in vinegar for a couple of days (in a sealed jar) and no effect on the plastic.

Thanks again PB so it safe .nice