Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Highlanders : why yet more figures?

We have massive gaps in the hobby, why the fascination with Highlander battalions (maximum five) and Scots Greys (one regiment). Surely the effort is better served elsewhere

Re: Highlanders : why yet more figures?

Might be better to put forth an argument as to why we have 30 billion different sets of WW2 German infantry, before you pick on a few new sets of Highlanders.:expressionless:

Endeavour
We have massive gaps in the hobby, why the fascination with Highlander battalions (maximum five) and Scots Greys (one regiment). Surely the effort is better served elsewhere
A good question.

I think the profit motive must be relevant. Strelets don't make figures for fun. They are a business and if Highlanders sell, they'll make them.They'd be mad not to.

You must also consider what's available at the moment. If the sculpting isn't good, then making new sets of old subjects is fine if they are an improvement. The Esci Highland infantry are nice figures but poorly posed. Strelets' efforts are simply nicer so I've "retired" my Esci figures.

Finally, who's too say "too many"? I may well want truckloAds of Highlanders. Some people clearly want even more WW2 Germans and I'm sure I do not have the right to cry, "enough!".

Donald
It would be only natural to have Highlanders standing at attention. I'm sure they are just being polite and biding their time while their Sassenach brethren attempt to beat the French before they finally get out of the way, so that the Highlanders can move in and finish the job properly.
Regards
Danny

Danny
Donald
It would be only natural to have Highlanders standing at attention. I'm sure they are just being polite and biding their time while their Sassenach brethren attempt to beat the French before they finally get out of the way, so that the Highlanders can move in and finish the job properly.
Regards
Danny
Danny, you can divide all the people of the world into two groups: those who have Strelets' Highlanders and those who want to get some Strelets' Highlanders.
I guess I didn't "need" anymore Napoleonics Highlanders but how could you resist Strelets' offering?
Donald

Donald
I have some but want some more. I must have a dual personality. :upside_down_face:

Danny

Dear Endeavour,

they are just receiving same treatment as the ACW opposing sides: marching-standing-attacking.
Very soon you will have same complaints about other armies.
Best regards,

Strelets

As a Scot i have to say we can never have to many Scottish regiments after all we have been the backbone of the British Army for a couple of hundred years.

Our special forces are full of them along with the Irish. Poverty over the years led to many Scots ending up taking the kings shilling.

I understand they are murder to paint but ask our foes who also dreaded seeing us on the battlefield

Happy New Year to everyone and i hope you all enjoy one of our other greatest exports a wee dram

from a very sunny Scotland

cheers everyone

Allan

Or the endless Nappy French infantry...Sorry but I just got bored over the years with the "mainstream" subjects that Airfix covered all those decades ago (and everybody else since) as I started reading up on less travelled paths in the history of the world.

Endeavour
I have bought all the Highlander sets released to far. I have been totally fascinated with the Waterloo Battle Squares since elementary school and seeing the famous paintings in the school library.

I'm so glad Strelets is making this Range and can't wait to see some action Teaser Pictures.

Please make some casualty poses, maybe one standing and one on the ground, like you did such a fine job with the ACW sets.

Your Highlanders are really great looking toy soldiers. They have so much personality. So please, finish the Range off with some great looking casualty poses to line up on the front rows and really give the British Square it's complete, and famous look, just like the famous paintings.

P.S. And I'm not a Napoleonic collector, but these figures are beautiful. - GC

"Strelets*R was founded in 1998 to fill the gaps in the figure market that had previously had to be filled with conversions by collectors themselves"

This statement is on the homepage of this very website and is, perhaps, the reason some people raise an eyebrow every time Strelets R produce a set that has already been made or step into an area that is already well served- Whilst it might make sound commercial sense to produce yet another set of ACW figures(or Napoleonic Highlanders) it doesn't exactly fit with this philosophy does it?

It is true that there are quite a few Highlander sets been made but non that are as specific as at attention, at ease, on the march & in attack.
Strelets have found a gap in the market & are reaping the benefits, these sets really fit the Napoleonic era & are like a breath of fresh air.
Strelets could concentrate on obscure sets all the time but they would soon go out of business & that would not help anyone build their armies.

Steve H
It is true that there are quite a few Highlander sets been made but non that are as specific as at attention, at ease, on the march & in attack.
Strelets have found a gap in the market & are reaping the benefits, these sets really fit the Napoleonic era & are like a breath of fresh air.
Strelets could concentrate on obscure sets all the time but they would soon go out of business & that would not help anyone build their armies.

Steve H, I agree with you - Strelets needs to stay with "bread and butter" lines such as Napoleonics. Even the Strelets ACW line for example, which I would say is a "bread and butter" line too has now provided me (as a collector and painter) with a very realistic array of infantry figures and poses to (re)create the entire Gettysburg Battle - with regards to the variety of poses (marching, attacking, skirmishing, standing/at ease etc) during direct confrontation of the two opposing forces in the encounter. I am now repainting my old ESCI, Accurate/Revell, Italeri and Imex figures but I must say, once painted up the Strelets figures are quite impressive and do have very realistic looking poses. I actually prefer these Strelets figures to the older ones. I along with many others, do believe there are still gaps in ACW line that still require filling - once the entire Strelets ACW line is completed, I anticipate "retiring" my older non-Strelets ACW figures to other uses and scenarios. Napoleonics collectors probably feel the same way as their armies continue to expand! lol