Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New RedBox set !

Extra long toilet brush on their hats. They must have come in useful.:grimacing:

I prefer my figures to be pretty accurate, but try not to be OCD about it - I can't really tell you where it is I draw the line, but when I look at a set of figures I know where it is. At 1/72 scale minor details like buttons or even cuffs and collars can be forgiven - to a point. I like the three-foot rule (if you couldn't see a button or object from three feet away on a real person, it's not really a problem in 1/72 scale. Of course the TRUE artists in the hobby make a lie of that rule, but I'm usually painting by the hundreds, so...), particularly if I can paint over a "mistake."

I've shared many times how we used to recreate the battle of the Alamo using our 1/32 cowboys and ACW figures. We would take the cowboys and brimmed-hat ACW guys and they defended the upside-down shoebox that was our Alamo against kepi-hatted ACW guys who stood in for shakoed Mexicans. It worked for us. The first playsets we got as kids in the USA didn't even have real enemy armies - just different colored guys in the same poses to represent opposing armies. We made do. When Louis Marx introduced actual authentic Germans into his "Battleground" set there was a whole generation overjoyed; now folks quibble over their quality - and the fact the WW2 GIs were carrying post-war weapons... -sigh- we loved them then.

Having said that, if the figure captures the general look of the subject I can deal with minor discrepancies. Now, as to the matter of right-shoulder arms/left-shoulder arms, as an old soldier I know even though we normally marched at right-shoulder arms in my time (much later than Napoleonic as old as I am) - marching at left-shoulder wasn't unheard of - rare, but not unheard of.

Now, I don't know how old most of the folks are on this site, or even in the hobby, but I'm old enough to remember when the only 1/72 scale Napoleonics we had in the USA were from a Hong Kong based company called "Giant." They had copies of old Marx ACW figures with French-style shakos added on and then "shrunk down" - pantagraphed to 1/72 scale. Same poses for both British and French - same uniforms (all wrong) - just different colors blue for French, red for British. How's that for accuracy?

Then Airfix came along and it was like a brave new world to many of us - ACTUAL British and French figures in fairly accurate uniforms. But they were ALL at right-shoulder-arms! I didn't realize they were wrong until I'd grown up and done some serious study of the Napoleonic era and tactics. But we played on. ESCI came out and somewhat better sculpting - but still, wrong shoulder...

Personally, the fact the marching figures are right-shoulder-arms is vexing to me, sure. One would think right now with the state of the hobby and the availability of the reasearch materials, not to mention the ability to take a look at the competition's output and see they're doing left-shoulder figures (I think I would look to see what's out there if I was about to invest in producing a set if only out of curiosity) the problem would be avoidable.

But I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. If the rest of the set proves to be as nice as the first pictures make it; and, as I said before, if the molds match and there's not a lot of flash or uneven mold lines along the figures - if the plastic is of the quality of previous Mars products - I think I will overlook the problem with one pose - it's not like it's a set solely committed to marching figures. If that were the case then the flaw might prove fatal. As it is, I can live with it - as my grandma used to say, "Chew the wheat, spit out the chaff."

But to each his or her own, I say. Live and let live.

Parbleu
And now tell me I'm just dreaming that the only figure shouldering his musket is carrying it on the right ... which would mean we get an army of marching NCOs (... as there already is a NCO carrying a halberd, on the left, which is correct ...) ...

A beginner's mistake ... 20 to 30 years of preaching that privates carried their muskets on the left completely in vain ... and another set for the bin...

But, surely, I'm mistaken ...
An...army? Sure? There are THREE figures in the box with the musket on their shoulder. Hardly an army.

You don't get my point ...

Parbleu
You don't get my point ...
That is correct.

An Amazing new!! Many thanks to Haron to have made these sets. I'm so really happy. first Strelets puts on the market the 2WW FFL and now Red Box with russians for Austerlitz… I can say it's a great Xmas.