Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early Friday

Brian
Strelets first figure is almost certainly a 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) who saw action in the War of 1812 as Steve O has already said, unless this figures has long coat tails then he could be from the Crimean War or one of many Colonial Wars.

Strelets 2nd and 3rd figures look dare I say like more Italians to me but could also be French and lets hope Belgians.
If Italians then the tunic is wrong, cant really tell what the pouches are but should be multiples. Generally the Rifle should be the Carcano Modello 1891 infantry rifle which has a visible mag.

Belgians have broad falling collers multiple pouches and a different rifle.

So I still believe these are French or at least a nation who used French equipment.

Hopefully the will include the right selection of weapons for platoon level units...

:wink:

The second figure looks to me like a chasseur portee, France 1940. Even if it’s not, I will gladly draft them as such.

At 1/72 scale with a little paint I could make them work for Napoleonic British; geez, even without painting or even 1/32 scale. It's my army (LOL). Seriously, any discrepancies, even the "overbite" on the upper lip can be compensated, I think. I will use them as Napoleonic British.

I'm with Ironsides here, no Italians also beacuse they lack shoulder rolls.

But did the Belgians not wear standing collars in late WW1 like the private does, it was the coat that had a falling collar.
https://qmi.be/belgian-ww1.html

His tunic seems rather short though! Regards, Pa

The Belgians went through a series of uniforms the "winter" tunic that you see there with the standing collar is I believe a British supplied example for 1915(so you could use modified British infantry for this period) but photos I have show they also used tunics similar to French colonial infantry tunics with broad falling collars later in war; I suspect the truth is a mixture in service at any one time.. But then reliable imformation appears to be quite scarce, mostly though the pics I have that show troops wearing the french stle capote or something very similar with multiple belt pouches which is the most distinctive feature I think, they used Belgian adapted Chauchats slightly curved mag and apparantly reliable, Mausers or other rifles with visible mags(not lebels), Colt Mgs and others, French grenades etc...

I dont think there was much action on the Belgian front once the Yser area was flooded in 1914 and they remained neutral practically thoughout the war not really taking part untill late on other then defending the land still held and operations in other countries, I think largely because of fears for the civilian population...

:wink:

I'd really like it if the first figure was from an Indian Mutiny set, but I think the trousers and tunic are of an earlier style. Nobody's ever done an Indian Mutiny series in 1/72 or 1/32.