Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nearly there

Hallo, for me they are Poland troops.

Bewdiful Strelets!

Thanks

I like these - I have absolutely no need for another set of French Napoleonic line infantry but these are so nice I might be tempted anyway...

As far as I know the fusiliers never wore two belts crossed...and it's a shame because at the other hand....are excellent figures...

I learn something everyday and sometimes it is fundamental stuff that I have been mistaken about for ages--thanks Erik.

I'll try to use the excuses that the differences between flank and centre companies are generally mentioned in terms of colours, epaulettes, sword and plume and I had presumed that the second belt carried the bayonet for the fusiliers and sword and bayonet for the gren./volt.--ideas reinforced by the figures of the 60s–80s with their double-belts (which provide flexibility for a greater range of representations). Add to this the tendency for images to show men of the flank companies or NCOs. All pitiful excuses, of course!

Interesting how one (perhaps I am the only one?) can be aware and perhaps even recount differences in piping, pocket flaps and such but miss something so BIG. Most salutary...

(I wonder what have these fellows done then?
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-french-line-infantry-regiment-at-a-reenactment-in-england-86820683.html)

For me, these lovely figures--and they are beautifully sculpted--still look most like fusiliers with their gaiters, shoulder straps, uncovered shako with pompom. Perhaps these two are intended to be NCOs?! If not, it would seem to be good, if possible, to remove the belt running from top left as we look at the figure. We have a plethora of sets with two belts which make them fine or okay for the wargames table where general effect is the name of the game or for conversions or representations as other units.

James

Nothing new here I'm afraid, for years manufacturers have been getting it wrong, despite instant information via the internet. What with double cross belts for French fusiliers or short tails with high waisted lapels, or British knapsacks having side pockets, or Prussian infantry having their kit on the wrong side. Cavalry saddles don't fare any better in many cases but we have to put up with what we get or we end up doing without.

Re: Nearly there--haversack

I'm still intrigued by this having seen fusiliers represented with two belts, those re-enactors as a case in point, so I have kept hunting.

If carrying a haversack it was slung over the right shoulder...?

Hi everyone,
I am really confused because the sculpture is superb but I can't guess what are they representing ?
Any help?

These guys look like they might be French Young Guard Infantry circa 1809-1812. Paul K

Hi

Basically one belt carries the bayonet and cartridge case and worn by all.

Second cross belt carries the sabre and was the preserve of NCOs, Elite Companies and Guard units pre 1815. The Young Guard in 1815 did nt get a sabre neither did number elite companies.

Backpack had two straps

Often a water bottle carried with thin strap running alongside one of the cross belts

So these figs could only be line NCOs or potentially pre 1814 Young Guard not all of which had the full epulettes

Would prefer a set of French Fusilers ie with one belt.

The figures look fantastic.

Cheers