Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reference of similar normans dark grey color requested to paint a large siculo-norman army

Hello!
First of all,thank you for the big box Hastings Norman army which is great and provides a lot of material for my 12th century siculo-norman army.
I hope I can get my hands on one or two more…
Besides that I’m also using turcopoles + Russian medieval horsemen,military order warriors,Scottish army of Robert Le Bruce & Scottish schiltron(for Naples city militia) Hat el Cid Spanish infantry & command and Almoravids & Andalusian moors as well as Caesar dismounted crusaders.

Given the numbers and my inability to paint I’ve chosen to spray paint those who are not blessed with the beautiful dark grey of the normans.
Could you please recommend a paint reference of a known manufacturer to match them?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Reference of similar normans dark grey color requested to paint a large siculo-norman army

What I recommend is Humbrol spray primer grey no 1. Of course, acrilic. Just spray over your entire army, of course after you have degreased them in a warm 1/10 Fairy type kitchen degreaser/water. This primer spray is my favorite after testing several. It is a light grey shade and uncovers the details unexpectedly well after spraying. Details you couldn’t see on the figures before spraying become apparent after that.

Re: Reference of similar normans dark grey color requested to paint a large siculo-norman army

petrovici radu thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience.
I will take your advice.On first look the color seems fairly similar to that of the normans.
At the cleaning stage,should I rub the figures a bit or just let it seat?

Frederic, I don’t rub the figures, just leave them overnight in a plastic container filled with hot water/detergent. Some people use a disafected toothbrush for better degreasing. I don’t and it works fine. Follow the instructions on the spray can and you will see that you will be very happy with the results. One word of warning, though. With priming, the figures reveal details much better, which is good for the enjoyment of the figures. But that also means that unwanted details like mould lines become more obvious. I always clean the figures of unwanted plastic with a sharp hobby knife or a hot safety pin run through the flame of a candle, depending on plastic. Please let me know what you think after giving this a try.