Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelet: how about new ancient sets?

martin_hy
If you think about the ancient and medieval range, this covers a long time span, and a lot of interesting periods are not real covered.

... and please take into account, that not everybody want to convert figures (this is an argument valid for every period ...).

I'm always pleased if a company came up with a new (and interesting) period. e.g. when Ceasar starts the Bronze Age range, not covered by 1/27 plastic before (that's just one example) or Strelets extended crusade range.

I hope you haven't misunderstood me. I'm also really no fan of converting in a mechanical way and also not good in that, but in some cases i'm too sure, there will be nothing done - so alienating is something which works when the histoical circumstances gives you the chance to have the army you wish. That's why i hope, if the companies see that there is a theme for which the potential buyers convert etc., they'll see their opportunity for future sets.

I'm also a big fan of Caesar for their ancient and fantasy sets but began too late with collecting and so missed a bunch of sets and bonus figures, that's mostly the reason why i "convert" from other sets.
The point with Strelets crusades is what i meant with doing more than the classics (here standard europeans and saracens) so it's good to hear we're thinking in the same way.

I think there is still plenty of potential for new Ancient-Medieval sets -as mentioned Byzantines as well as some of their opponents such as early Ottomans, Vandals, early Islamic armies from Arabia. We could also do with some decent set of Huns as the existing sets are quite poor and flawed. Wagons for some of these steppe nomad armies would be useful too.
And some new Picts/ Irish /Scots as these are quite poorly represented to date.

Yes, new sets for themes with "nice tried but bad success sets" like the Indians, 'Gaelic', Huns etc. and for the since today in every sector underestimated nomads would be very good. But also what about more realistic sets about Vlad III.? Some more civil or maybe even some more mythologic? And i'm a fan of the Codex Manesse - would just be helmet-crests but maybe even nice.
Maybe my answers seem a bit desperate, it's just about the bad end of Linear-A's croudfunding - a whole elector-army, but apparently almost no one buying; one reason more why i have to alienate, which isn't easy for a lot of cultures...

I certainly would love to see some Irish, Picts or Scots done properly as these are definitely nations that looked very different to your standard Dark Age warriors and there is very little that could be converted.