Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wargame Table Surface

A year ago MRS Bunkermeister and I retired. And we moved to Kentucky, USA where we purchased a plot of land and started building a house. Our new home is nearly completed and the wargame table is under construction.

My previous wargame table was 40 inches high, 7 feet wide and 16 feet long. My new table will be 40 inches high, 7 feet wide, and 40 feet long. Yes, over two meters wide and 12 meters long. It is permanent, and will have shelves underneath to hold The Collection.

Now my previous table was covered with a green indoor/outdoor carpet, called a pool carpet. It was designed to be placed around swimming pools. It was very thin, green with a hint of a black swirl in the pattern, and had no backing. The old stuff lasted 30 years and was still in great shape. I can't seem to find it again anywhere.

I have checked at swimming pool stores, boat repair stores, carpet stores, and big box retailers and on-line. I suspect they don't make it anywhere.

So I am left with the problem of what do I use to cover the wargame table with?

Did I say table? I meant to say tables. I will have two parallel 7X40 feet tables in the new basement. So I need a something 8 feet wide, to fold it under the edge, and about 100 linear feet long.

What do you suggest I cover the wargame tables with?

Thanks.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Re: Wargame Table Surface

My choice would be a nice polished wood surface. When you and your friends decide your battle scenario, then choose the appropriate surface. Sometimes they look premade by one of the guys. Or making a battle surface together can be half the fun. Nothing says the whole table has to be covered, and a smooth surface is easy to clean and set up each time for different sizes.

Congrats Mike on you and yours' retirement! - GC

Good grief, I could get all of my Napoleonics in eight armies out at once on that table! But my soldiers are unpainted, so would not do it justice.

Perhaps you could try indoor/outdoor carpet. It is somewhat similar.
I have a small 2 1/2 foot by 5 foot table and use either green, gray or tan bath towels depending on battle era being covered. Not practical in your case though.
Hope you find what you need and enjoy your retirement. I know I do. Cappy

Sorry I know you already mentioned this type of carpet. What I had in mind was the type of indoor/outdoor carpet used on porches and the like. I've had to replace mine and it is still available. Lasts for years. I have not seen pool carpet used recently at all. Cappy

I would use a good latex gaming mat personally. You could place different layers underneath it to create ridges and hills and it would look great with terrain on top f it. The best I ever used were made by a company called Zuzzy, but they are no longer in business which is a shame. There are many other manufacturers out there, just look for the one that offers the best for your needs. Good luck!

Hi Mike that sounds brilliant would love that!
I currently use hand painted 5x6.5 muslin cloth with acrylics with some finer detail added ,I have a mountain that you can put cushions etc for the height ,2 pieces same measurements each for a d day scenario complete with river roads and streams boggy areas, and currently working on one as a base for an urban area ie Berlin,Stalingrad etc the d day one's are designed with a seperate 18" wide beach complete with an estuary they are all about 1/72 scale and they are designed to fit either left to right or inverted they will eventually fit 4 of them !for an 10 ft deep by 13 ft wide battle area plus beaches obviously with a bit of imagination the mountain/hills could be incorporated as well as the city.......i would love to see it all finished ie yours! ps all of mine fold neatly into apx20"x20" bundles ...thanks for the inspiration !

Have you thought about pool table felt I don't know how wide the rolls are but it does come in many colors

Hello,

If your table and floor is sturdy enough then I suggest you line it with a membrane and use builders sand.

Excellent when dampened for sculpting and no more raised trench systems etc.

Best wishes,

Chris

https://meninboxes.blogspot.com/2012/11/major-general-tremorden-rederrings.html