Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camelgate

Bert
So what you're saying is that we have one of those rare instances when a manufacturer is correct & stodgy ole' "We research our reviews to the hilt!" PSR is WRONG?! LOL! Love it!

Hey, RedBox gave us Lion, Tiger, Stag, Velociraptor & Unicorn mounted Amazons. Why not Giraffe mtd infantry of some sort? Tho you won't find a review at PSR! If it never existed in the "Real World" it's not allowed at PSR! True, getting off would be a challenge!
I don't want to be too harsh. But except for you & me, Bert, :grin: who are never wrong, everyone makes a mistake occasionally.

Paintdog
...oops, not a political scandal involving camels but, prompted by PSR's latest review on the Strelets' Turkish Camel Corps: a post on how camels walk or CAMEL GAIT.

"Giraffes and camels have a distinctive pacing gait in which they move both legs on the same side of the body at the same time (both right legs, then both left legs). ... A giraffe's gallop involves both back legs swinging in front of the front legs on each stride."

This might be useful if Strelets ever decide to release a set of Giraffe-mounted infantry (how would you ever dismount safely?)

Paint dog

I can't find your quote where PSR talks about giraffes in the Turkish Camel Corps Review. Could you post a link to where you found this quote?

- GC

GC, PSR doesn't talk about giraffes, only camels.
The giraffe-schtick was a joke.

The quoted material comes from QI. I'm sure you'll agree that Stephen Fry is an acknowledged expert.

Now I understand why I couldn't understand.

I suppose you are right. Somebody has to be wrong now & then. ;)

Sorry but this is something of an irritation of mine even though I suspect most people won't care. We've had many pantomime horses from many makers over the years (Strelets is by no means the worst offender) Why pantomime? Well because the front and back legs are in step with eachother as if a human is in the front and back end which is the complete opposite of how MOST quadrupeds move (camels and giraffes notwithstanding!).

This has been known ever since Eadward Muybridge created his revolutionary horse-in-motion photographs but can be more easily seen by pausing a youtube video of a horse moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0pofjKLbo

So please, all makers, no more...

I really get the hump with all this camel talk. But here goes the first camel is wrong as one foot is off the ground not two. Also none of my figures move by themselves they just stay in the same pose all the time and none of the weapons fire so not very realistic more like toys.

Dear Freelancer,

check this one as well:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%8C

Regards,

Strelets

Nice one, Pa! Yes, indeed Muybridge also proved that camels are not only the oddest looking of animals but in fact the perfect pantomime animal that should replace horses immediately! Let's get this campaign a-rollin'...

Paintdog
...oops, not a political scandal involving camels but, prompted by PSR's latest review on the Strelets' Turkish Camel Corps: a post on how camels walk or CAMEL GAIT.

"Giraffes and camels have a distinctive pacing gait in which they move both legs on the same side of the body at the same time (both right legs, then both left legs). ... A giraffe's gallop involves both back legs swinging in front of the front legs on each stride."

This might be useful if Strelets ever decide to release a set of Giraffe-mounted infantry (how would you ever dismount safely?)
If anyone wants to see what camels look like in an actual battle setting, the link below is just for the battle scene from "The Four Feathers, Battle of Omdurman."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQfTHw4foU

Sorry, but you'll have to COPY, and PASTE into your browser above.

BTW, the subject name "Camelgate" or "Camelgait" still has me laughing. It really is one of the most clever subject names for any thread I've ever read.