Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets' New Teaser Pictures of - "French Foreign Legion WWII"

Pa
Thanks for the trouble GC, the pouches seem to be there indeed and also in this photo:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/731890-2/untitled

It might be a moot point anyway, since Bir Hakeim was a defensive action and these figures are clearly attacking (like in the famous propaganda picture), most images I found show neither kepis nor lots of automatic weapons so as so often with the FFL there might be a collison between myth and historical truth but these will be your figures (and mine) so the only thing that counts is you like them! :+1:

Btw there is a re-enactor group
http://www.fightingbasques.net/en-us/13e-Demi-brigade
and this excellent collection, consisting mainly of metal figures casted from conversions of available plastic figures:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19485&p=210936&hilit=Foreign+Legion

Have fun! Regards, Pa

Dear Pa,

Please accept my apologies for missing your response above.

However, please accept my Appreciation for your hard worked out response to some of my notes.

I really love the photo you posted of 2 FFL with the Classic 3-Pouch with Braces set. Those 2 guys are a couple of tough lookging Dudes.

Further, when I discovered your posting this evening, I spent the rest of my time watching the links you so graciously posted. Simply beautiful. In fact, they led me to SAVE some more documentaries for another nite. It's 11:45 p.m. and I still have not had dinner yet. Just some times important things can't wait! - GC :-)

The current 20th century French subject look excellent especially the FFL a. A range French subjects for North Africa should prove very popular.

However, the more common colonial French of the thirties and forties (Vichy French) other than the FFL would be especially useful as the French were in conflict with a wide range forces (especially the so called 'Anglosaxons') in the Levant, North Africa and the Far East. Strelet have already produced many suitable Commonwealth troops that opposed them.

RCD
The current 20th century French subject look excellent especially the FFL a. A range French subjects for North Africa should prove very popular.

However, the more common colonial French of the thirties and forties (Vichy French) other than the FFL would be especially useful as the French were in conflict with a wide range forces (especially the so called 'Anglosaxons') in the Levant, North Africa and the Far East. Strelet have already produced many suitable Commonwealth troops that opposed them.
Hi RCD. Excellent point. For those who have not checked out the link above for a war gamer who has a most interesting and eye-opening short of the FFL in WW2 on his site/blog, here is the heart of it:

" … The Legion was in a weird spot in WW2. Before the start of the war, German volunteers had gradually joined the outfit to such a high degree that it was a dangrous mix of German infiltrators and victims of the ravages of fascism. They were deemed safe to send as support against Soviet in Finland though, and the 13th Demi-Brigade was trained as arctic troops in France with this in mind. The Winter War ended before they could be sent, but after weeding out German infiltrators they were sent to Norway to invade Narvik, where they fought well but eventually had to be extracted when France was attacked.

This meant that they were in transit in Great Britain when France fell. At this point, the Legion was divided into three parts: one part aligned with the Vichy government, one with the Free French, and the 13th Demi-Brigade stuck in Britain. The latter ended up joining the British 8th Army, and in Syria legionnaires ended up fighting each other during the war.
Playing French Foreign Legion
Given the complex history of the Legion during WW2, you have a lot of options as a player. Some parts of the Legion were far away and cut off, and would make do with what pre-war equipment they had or what they could get their hands on. Others were outfitted by Allied or Axis forces, so could look and be organized just like an American, or British or German soldier ... "

Credit to: Kriget kommer, Wargamer and Blogger; Link to Blog (Gaming the FFL in WW2): https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/french-foreign-legion-list-for-coc

Re: Strelets' New Teaser Pictures of - "French Foreign Legion WWII" (To S*R re: Colour)

Common sense dictates you'll make this set in Desert Tan Colour, but please make it in the nice Tan you made your New Zealand set in. This nice Flat Tan shows all of the fine details, such as face, eyes, etc.

With all due respect, the Light Tan you made the Indian set in it is shiny (kind of waxey) and actually hides or reflects away the fine details.

Thank you for listening.

I am thrilled! I have wanted a set of these since I saw their photo in a Military History magazine! Can't wait to get them!