Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Why only one officer/drummer per set?

Hi,
I really like your new Polish infantry sets for the Napoleonic era.
However, we use 1/72 minis for the Black Powder rule set. Standard battalions are 6 bases with 4 minis on each. So a standard battalion is 24 minis. Your sets have enough minis to make 3 battalions out of 2 sets but would be missing a command sprue for the third battalion.

Would it be possible to get single command sprues by mail order?

Thank you,

Oliver from Salem, Oregon

Re: Why only one officer/drummer per set?

das_olli
Hi,
I really like your new Polish infantry sets for the Napoleonic era.
However, we use 1/72 minis for the Black Powder rule set. Standard battalions are 6 bases with 4 minis on each. So a standard battalion is 24 minis. Your sets have enough minis to make 3 battalions out of 2 sets but would be missing a command sprue for the third battalion.

Would it be possible to get single command sprues by mail order?

Thank you,

Oliver from Salem, Oregon
Single command sprues would be nice.

I'm with you over the paucity of command figures. Zvesda does the same.

If you scale down units like I do (the usual 1:33 wargamer's favourite), you need command, for example, every 16 or so figures.

To be fair, others want it differently. I remember the howling over Waterloo1815's Napoleonic Polish infantry, when they had an officer, musician & ensign (ie 4 of each) with every sprue......though that number more or less suited me.

Over the years, I've mostly turned to metal figures t make up the command shortfall. Some work, some look glaringly out of place.

Aah! The Trials & Tribulations of the hobby! O tempora o mores!!

I did think it remiss that the various napoleonic British infantry sets only had one ensign, especially as they had two sappers. As with Paintdog I have used metal ensigns for my somewhat outdated Airfix British battalions and would have loved the opportunity to replace them with new Strelets figures. But my 29 battalions average 26 figures, requiring 58 boxes to supply the necessary number of ensigns. I would have nearly two thousand spare figures. It's a non-starter for me even if they work for most other folk. Another case of you can't please everyone I guess

Must say I too struggle to see the logic behind the classification and pricing of some Strelets sets. I have bought lots of Strelets "mini" infantry sets over the years and they seem to be 4 identical sprues - including command figures. Excellent value for money and very satisfied.

However they seem to have more figures and (in the past at least) were significantly cheaper than the Strelets "R" range. This seemed to be justified by the "R" range having every single figure in a unique pose which meant a lot more sculpting. An example I own being the Crimean War Cossack Infantry and Sailors which I love - 46 figures in 46 different poses (which objectively should at least mean 10/10 for "Pose Number" so I don't know why PSR only gave 8...http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=734 )

So along come these Napoleonic British Infantry I thought I'd pick up a couple of marching sets for my War of 1812 (whatever happened to that?) project, despite having lots of great NBI figs from other makers, as they looked nice and they're going to be "mini" right? Also 2 of those 4 standard-bearers and officers can supplement my other units (2 colours per battalion) Oh dear, how wrong I was...

Apologies to PSR for the little dig earlier because your value was demonstrated in the sprue scans that showed these Strelets "R" sets were just "mini" with 3 of the 4 command sections chopped off and thrown in the recycle bin with a higher price tag. Very cynical and a complete deal-breaker for me at least. I'll stick with all the other nice NBIs available.

Sorry for the long rant - still love your other stuff Strelets!