Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: French Foreign Legion (Rif War)

zirrian
Yes, truly, the biggest concern about this set is the color of the plastic.

Please make it purple because it's a fancy color or something.

Christ...
'colour'
I'm with you, they can make em in hot pink if they like, makes no difference to the product... for me at least

Al
zirrian
Yes, truly, the biggest concern about this set is the color of the plastic.

Please make it purple because it\\\\\\\'s a fancy color or something.

Christ...
\\\'colour\\\'
I\\\'m with you, they can make em in hot pink if they like, makes no difference to the product... for me at least
Thank you very much for your kind tolerance towards other collectors to whom colour matters.

Here's another vote for blue - or khaki, if that makes any sense.

Thank you, Pa for keeping this thread on track and supporting those of us whom color does matter.

I spent a lot of time all week looking up on the internet and books I have to find Legionnaires for the RIF War. I could only find that the Legionnaires in the RIF War wore puttees, not gaitors, and didn't wear neck curtains on their kepis, and Osprey pictures of them wearing pith helmets with the short jackets, not the kapote, and again puttees. So for me, Strelets awesome looking set would be appropriate for other campaigns where they wore blue, etc (Bingo Beau Geste). But John is right, during the RIF War, tan was the dominant color.

Either way, this will be a great set to have.

Have a great weekend.

https://youtu.be/8qzQ7fo1Dec

Don't forget Legion fought all over the colonial empire. As with most armies It took time to upgrade uniform and supplies transport and quartermaster stores were only as good as the government administration in those days. The legion was not on top of the French Army list to be well equipped. From purchasing approval and merchants production supply limits, Often taking 2-3 years to effect, eqippe and reach the far flung outposts of the various empires. Throw in some sutlers tailors contracts and corruption etc .Was same with weaponry, ammunition new jackets etc it didn't happen overnight or in a few weeks. Elite Guards forces and Depots were usually first to get the new equipment Unless you have served in the military I don't think you will appreciate how realistic these notations are.

GarrisonClay
Thank you, Pa for keeping this thread on track and supporting those of us whom color does matter.

I spent a lot of time all week looking up on the internet and books I have to find Legionnaires for the RIF War. I could only find that the Legionnaires in the RIF War wore puttees, not gaitors, and didn\'t wear neck curtains on their kepis, and Osprey pictures of them wearing pith helmets with the short jackets, not the kapote, and again puttees. So for me, Strelets awesome looking set would be appropriate for other campaigns where they wore blue, etc (Bingo Beau Geste). But John is right, during the RIF War, tan was the dominant color.

Either way, this will be a great set to have.

Have a great weekend.
Let me introduce you to these wonderful things:

let me introduce you to google.then google definition of non-painter.
please enjoy your hobby the way you want and let others enjoy it the way they want.
count me in for blue.

I will be happy with blue or tan. Blue and they will fight as pre WW1 Beau Geste. Tan and they will fight in the Rif, post WWI. I was thinking maybe Strelets should make them in Blue and Tan and we can make pre and post WWI Legions!

Colour matters to me as I don't paint my figures and I like to fight wargames with them. I do sometimes spray paint my figures, but it is not the ideal option as when the paint scratches off or peals off the figures start to look "ratty looking." My kids can be rough on the figures too. I also don't really like the smell and hassle of spray painting.

I hope that Strelets does make FFL Rif war figures with the short jackets like the film "Legionnaire," but these ones should be definitely in tan / khaki. Some other ideas:

- Legion mule train
- Legion camp
- Dahomey warriors including "Les amazons"
- Indo Chinese Black Flags
- tirailleurs

John
I will be happy with blue or tan. Blue and they will fight as pre WW1 Beau Geste. Tan and they will fight in the Rif, post WWI. I was thinking maybe Strelets should make them in Blue and Tan and we can make pre and post WWI Legions!

Colour matters to me as I don't paint my figures and I like to fight wargames with them. I do sometimes spray paint my figures, but it is not the ideal option as when the paint scratches off or peals off the figures start to look "ratty looking." My kids can be rough on the figures too. I also don't really like the smell and hassle of spray painting.

I hope that Strelets does make FFL Rif war figures with the short jackets like the film "Legionnaire," but these ones should be definitely in tan / khaki. Some other ideas:

- Legion mule train
- Legion camp
- Dahomey warriors including "Les amazons"
- Indo Chinese Black Flags
- tirailleurs
Hi John,

I had hoped you saw above I mentioned you are right after much mining of photos. The RIF French are all in Tan. But I think the sculptor, though, made the ultimate FFL like in the Beau Geste movies, not really RIF. I already mentioned the details above.

Probably though, Strelets has this set in production as we speak and making them in Tan which would make all this a mute point. That will serve me right!

At least it is a discussion which all of us get to put a vote in the hat.

P.S. I like your "Futures" list.

Cheers - GC

Poses are great! Only have one question: why a drummer in a 1920's war instead of the traditional bugler? Units in the field had long since ceased use of drums as signaling devices after beginning of WW1.

Again, great figures!

-Reilly D