Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8th Army heavy weapons set.

Well delighted with these guys and all the Arabia sets. The 8th army set is a perfect match to other manufacturers and sits very well side by side, so I will be buying a few more boxes of them. However one gripe, the set contains the usual strelets bonus figures, four of them but only two of the guys firing the bren gun in the anti aircraft position ! . May I suggest that cutting off two of the bonus figures to protect the numerical integrity of the set would have been a better choice , after all we are buying the set for the 8TH Army figures , not the bonus ones. To end on a positive, cant wait for the 15 pdr and itching to see the crew, Boer war artillery delighted.

Re: 8th Army heavy weapons set.

Agree with Alan`s observation on the 8th Army set. Although we only get two guys firing the Bren on the AA mount we still have 4 loader/observer figures so two of these are unemployed!
Otherwise a really nice set so thank you Strelets. Perhaps an LRDG set for the future and more WW2 Heavy Weapons set !
WW1 Arabia sets also great. like the camels very much !
Also pleased to see the Canon de 105 mle 1913 Schneider with crew and the the Cresout Long Tom 155mm with crew now listed as AO15 and AO14. Hopefully these will arrive in time for Christmas !

"Also pleased to see the Canon de 105 mle 1913 Schneider with crew and the the Cresout Long Tom 155mm with crew now listed as AO15 and AO14."

May I please ask where you got that from? I cannot find this information on strelets-r.com nor on PSR or Benno's Forum, and have not yet seen the boxes of the recent Strelets releases, so I would appreciate any info on these exciting sets!

I have to support Alan's grumble about bonus figures and specialty figures. I bought a lot of the Napoleonic sets and now have 24 Napoleons and 108 Bonus Streltsy figures which i will never use.

I would love generic command figures in sets and the bonus figures replaced with an extra pose in the set.

I think the format of the general staff sets is the perfect location for Napoleons, Wellingtons or Blucher's. I feel that the Streltsy deserve a set of their own.

I hope this is not taken in a negative way, more that the bonus figure was a nice way of bringing a new period to our attention, but as Alan says it might have been nicer to have more of the set we want to buy.

Your company is now well established and producing great sets and I will keep buying lots and look forward to getting the new Napoleonic sets later on in the year.

bfn

Allan

Excuse my ignorence but I'm stuggling to understand this. if you have four bonus figures then presumably there are four identical sprues in the box. does this mean that two of the bren gunners have been cut off?

If that is the case I really can't understand why anything would be cut off the sprue, either regular figures, command figures or even bonus figures. If people don't want the extras no-one is going to force them to use them, but some people may want the extra figs so why not leave them on?

If there's a reason why some figures have to be cut off a sprue (and I really can't imagine what that reason might be, any explanation would be welcome) then losing some of the bonus figs or Napoleon clones would be preferable to losing usable regular figures.

I think Strelets move to making some sets with four identical sprues is a positive thing, it's good for Napoleonic subjects where you want a number of figures doing the same thing at the same time. Unfortunately this means that you get four of any extra figs. I like some of the quirky extra figures we get with sets like pigeon fanciers, hula hoop carriers, cofee drinkers and Napoleons in various poses but do I really need four in every box? An extra regular fig might be a better idea. Command figures are different, some people need more command figures, those who don't needn't use them.

I don't really need any more Napoleons but I quite like the look of the new Strelets ones and I'd be happy to get one of each. If I get more than one I,ll be looking to use the heads for British Naval officers, no problem.

"if you have four bonus figures then presumably there are four identical sprues in the box. does this mean that two of the bren gunners have been cut off?"

The PSR preview image even shows only one gunner:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/FirstLook.aspx?id=2614

I don't see Strelets going through the trouble of cutting sprues, so I too am interested in what is behind this.

Got no use for Strelets bonus figures or 24 Napoleons? Well there is a solution - team up and swap with fellow collector! :hugging_face:

For clarity, four identical sprue`s, two Bren gunners removed prior to packing at the factory presumably. They could have cut off two piat guys that would have made more sense, but hay ho.

Alan Buckingham
For clarity, four identical sprue`s, two Bren gunners removed prior to packing at the factory presumably. They could have cut off two piat guys that would have made more sense, but hay ho.
That's very odd indeed, and the PSR page showing those figures clearly shows they received 1 gunner, with the total figures in the box being 45 implying they lost 3! But I noticed the photo of the box cover shows a total figure count of 45 - so all are/were present and accounted for? My order from Hannants should be arriving in a week or so (I'm in sunny Canada) so I'll report back with how many of my chaps made it.

Alan Buckingham
Seems odd to me that any would be removed at all considering the position on the sprue...?

:wink:

Well, I'm rather sad to report only 2 of my Bren machine gunners made it through, just like Alan's box. And like Alan previously mentioned, it appears the other 2 chaps were cut off from their sprues (with a rather noticeable and odd gap). Also, those two "cut" sprues appeared to be in a different orientation in the box compared to the 2 "uncut" sprues suggesting to me that whoever filled the box may have grabbed sprues from two different batches?

Dear Alan,

The mould was damaged beyond repairs right on the place where this specific figure was, hence we had to cut it out.
As a result, this set was issued with a very limited production run. We will try to go round this problem in some way but it may well be, that no subsequent re-releades will be made.
Please, be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets