Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why not? Naval wargaming

Unusual for a model company not to diversify themselves out of existence. I think Airfix in their "diversify " days were making mantlepiece ornaments in kit form of birds.

Unlike the aircraft they didn't look like the real thing. I see real Blue-tits every day. Haven't a clue how well they sold. The best and biggest was the 1/1 scale Little Owl and as the name says it was a small owl.

Re: Why not? Naval wargaming

I would recommend 1/3000 scale ships or similar size with General Quarters Rules:

http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/default.asp?MMID=103

Larger scales create problems with range and movement...

Theres a numbers of vendors Navwar, Davco and others, try shapeways as well... you can get pretty much everything of any significance Predreadnought, WW1, WW2, Modern in this scale....

:wink:

Why not? Naval Wargaming

If Strelets is going to do ships, then they need to make products that complement their 1/72nd scale figures not compete with it. Airfix sold birds but that did not help their figure line any. Airfix sold 1/72nd scale tanks and people purchased more figures.

There are already many companies that make wargame ships in 1/1200 and 1/2400 scale and 1/3000 scale. Adding another company to that mix won't help anyone.

I agree, if Strelets is going to make ships, make then in 1/72nd scale. Small launches would great, and other vessels no bigger than fifty fee or so that can be used in land based miniature wargame. Even a few river craft from the ACW or from WWII might be useful too.

To start, Strelets could make more Navy figures. Their WWII US Navy is a great start, but we could use so many more sailors. Deep sea divers, submarine crews to man the existing Revell U-boats and Gato class submarines would be awesome. ACW US Navy would be terrific too. The US Navy in the ACW made land attacks, and also in WWII. The German Navy in WWII landed shore parties as well.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Re: Why not? Naval Wargaming

Airfix sold birds etc as an attempt to reach a female/non-military market. The fact they ultimately failed had far more to do with global economic conditions and the rise of alternative hobbies (predominately electronica)

Strelets should stick to figures. How many waterline 1/1200 ships would they sell?

Re: Why not? Naval Wargaming

Marc
Airfix sold birds etc as an attempt to reach a female/non-military market. The fact they ultimately failed had far more to do with global economic conditions and the rise of alternative hobbies (predominately electronica)

Strelets should stick to figures. How many waterline 1/1200 ships would they sell?
I agree Strelets have found there market with 1/72 scale plastic figures, they excel at designing & making plastic figures & have hordes of customers waiting on their new sets why would strelets deviate from a known lucrative product for a highly risky jump in to the unknown.
(just noticed the word strelets is accepted without Correction great news)