Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BA or not to BA

I'm looking for some expert knowledge on the BA64 Soviet armoured car. I managed to pick up a couple on Sunday for a good price but the kits didn't include the LMGs for the turret, I'm going to cannibalize some from some spare figures. However, I've got a couple of queries with regard to crew figures. Firstly, I'm not sure whether these were crewed by guys in tanker's uniform or standard Red army garb. I've seen some pictures of them with the commander wearing overalls and the padded helmet and others with them wearing gymstiorka and pilotka. I would prefer to use tank crew as I can use half figures left over from some PSC T70s. The other query is what position to mount the figure in the turret. It is clear that most of the LMG projected back into the turret and only about a foot stuck out the front of the turret, this leave no room behind the gun to put a figure in. Does anyone know if the stocks were removed from the LMG in the BA64 or did the crewman have to very awkwardly have to try and fire the LMG from the side as he could bot possibly get behind it, especially if the stock was still present. With most other countries the LMG would have been adapted/designed to facilitate use but knowing the Russians' disregard for the comfort of their troops and desperate need to get weapons to the troops quickly I wondered if haste won out over practicality. Any thoughts?

Re: BA or not to BA

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%D0%91%D0%9064&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB401&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtuoqz5s7bAhWIDsAKHVAZCNwQ_AUICygC&biw=2133&bih=1215

OK, here is a link to a top, side, front and back outline drawing.

First, all the pictures show the machine gun mounted in the right half of the turret including the slot for the gun to peek out of.

Therefore, the gunner must be sitting in the left half with the butt of the gun pressed deep into his right shoulder with him leaning over the gun and slightly forward to aim down the barrel.

Tough-luck if you were left-handed. These things were designed only to be used for right-handers.

Also, it looks like only a couple of thin young-bucks could fit inside these tiny armored cars. Big body builder type guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger simply wouldn't fit. (Did you know he was in a tank crew in the Austrian Army before becoming famous. He actually owns and drives his own tanks in Southern California still today).

Therefore, if I were you, I'd put my gunner in the turret on the left side of the gun, since he typically couldn't fit fully behind it. I think his pose type should be like a rifleman, not a typical machine gunner with two hands in front of his chest. Try to drape his right arm over the barrel.

Regarding uniforms and helmets, most of the period photos show the crewman wearing overalls and the soft helmet when they were on recon/scouting duty. Just driving through town, anything and everything was worn, the photos largely show.

I could be wrong, but … ?

Copy and paste the link below into your browser and WAIT, WAIT, WAIT for the single picture to upload - Sorry:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%D0%91%D0%9064&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB401&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtuoqz5s7bAhWIDsAK#imgdii=stOVju_bkBZZkM:&imgrc=MugVOtqI0ZgtwM:

Thanks for the thoughts, yes clearly ofset in the picks, I hadn't noticed that when I googled. On the models I think if is central, so some amendment to do.

Graham Korn
Thanks for the thoughts, yes clearly ofset in the picks, I hadn't noticed that when I googled. On the models I think if is central, so some amendment to do.
Dear Graham Korn,

Yes, photos don't lie, at least not then. Here are some more thoughts …

* Turret & Machine Gun: I would just use the same center machine gun slot, just file it to an angle so the machine gun butt end can be pushed more to the right side within the turret. At this scale it should give you the illusion of being offset to the right without cutting more slots and making more work to patch up.

* Russian Crew: ORION is your go-to guy here. They make figures more on the smaller, thinner, HO Scale and the details are OUTSTANDING! I know because I bought tanks and crews last year and spent hours and hours looking for soft plastic. I don't do hard, bloated plastic half bodies nor metals. ORIONS have all you need for full bodies and all the headgear from early WWI through WWII. And you can easily modify they them with an X-Acto Knife trimming them dowwn to fit in hatches and turrets or cutting them in half if you like.

Go to "PlasticSoldierReview", "Manufacturers", "ORION", and click on the following sets to see:

** 72036 Soviet Tankmen and Crew (Summer Dress)
** 72042 Soviet Tankmen and Crew (Winter Dress)
** 72046 Soviet Tankmen and Crew

You may also want to look at this set for the Officers hat and uniform (Summer)

** 72037 Soviet Quad Maxim AA MG and Crew

If you get the 3 Tankmen and Crew Sets you'll have all the authentic uniforms for tankers from WWI through WWII. With soft plastic, you can perform any type of conversions you want easily.

Each box should have either 4 or 3 Sprews. This way you will get at least a few of your favorites in each box. Mostly 4 Sprews. This way you can expand your Soviet Tank Collection and have lots of Crew Members to choose from for each project of yours.

I bought almost all of mine from "Always Model" in Taiwan. Best selection (last year), cheapest prices and combined shipping if you ask. He gets 5-Stars every time.

I'm not trying to tell you how to enjoy your hobby, but I bought heaps of Soviet tanks last year representing early to late war armour. ORION even has an early figure waving flags they used early war before getting radios onboard. So much fun. And heaps and heaps of poses.

OK, lecture is over; dismissed!

Tank Crew Resource in General

Since buying my first Tanks and Crews for all the major WWII armies in 2017 and early 2018, I discovered my favorite and most complete resource without having to buy a zillion books, was / is Google Images "Tamiya Tank Crews" or "Tamiya Russian Tank Crew" etc.

Great research and great pictures.

Just as an aside note, everyone criticizes Caesar Miniatures for making so many German sets. Well, while purchasing many of their sets last year it became apparent to me that nearly all of their sets and poses are copies of the larger scale Tamiya Sets, and some other makers. Just Google "Tamiya WWII German Infantry" and compare with the PSR Caesar 1/72 pictures and you'll go, "Really ?!"

Yes, really. That's why they are so nicely detailed, and their production runs and release schedules made / makes no sense.

And all of Strelets new and various WWII Sets and Airfix Classic Sets mix really well together with them.

Just saying!

Re: Tank Crew Resource in General

Thanks for the info Garrison, I have the Summer tankmen from Orion and might well use some of them although most of my Soviet armour is buttoned up. I don't feel that you lectured be, just being helpful.

The information in this thread is of great use to me and the bit about Kaiser miniatures was certainly food for thought. Pity they cannot produce some of their original projects like the Dutch WW2 troops!

Usually I stick to WW1 (Strelet are spoiling us with the Arab sets!) or early WW2 (Still no sets of Early WW2 BEF!) Western allied subjects but I want to build a lend-lease Valentine III or IX. Its interesting that when the British/Canadians wanted to stop producing the Valentine the Red Army stepped in asked for the production line to continue.

PSC have produced the Valentine in 15mm (Mks II, III, IX) and will be shortly scaling up to 1/72.(why has it taken so long considering that you can get upteen models of fantasy tanks that never appeared?).

I am on the look out for soviet tank crews. Which set of tank riders would you suggest are the most realistic as it was a common practice with the Red Army?

RCD
The information in this thread is of great use to me and the bit about Kaiser miniatures was certainly food for thought. Pity they cannot produce some of their original projects like the Dutch WW2 troops!

Usually I stick to WW1 (Strelet are spoiling us with the Arab sets!) or early WW2 (Still no sets of Early WW2 BEF!) Western allied subjects but I want to build a lend-lease Valentine III or IX. Its interesting that when the British/Canadians wanted to stop producing the Valentine the Red Army stepped in asked for the production line to continue.

PSC have produced the Valentine in 15mm (Mks II, III, IX) and will be shortly scaling up to 1/72.(why has it taken so long considering that you can get upteen models of fantasy tanks that never appeared?).

I am on the look out for soviet tank crews. Which set of tank riders would you suggest are the most realistic as it was a common practice with the Red Army?
If it's tank riding infantry you are after, the hard plastic Preiser are perfect while the soft plastic H#T are fair, cheap and readily available.

If it's tank crews, see
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=1#SovietUnion-TankCrew

For some reason, the hard plastic Preiser sets do not show up in that list, e. g.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=1699