Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
new ancient sets requested

Strelets is recently working and releasing on a nice huge amount of sets from Napoleonic via ACW to WWI and WWII. Something for nearly everybody.

But no new ancient or medieval sets!

Needed are e.g. Roman command sets for (I'll buy a huge amount due to my large collection of roman Sets, I have bought several from each set).

I guess, that other collectors will have additional suggestions for new ancient sets.

Re: new ancient sets requested

Yes, but my list is long and after a not really succesfull try (non-roman-thread) i'm not sure if there is any chance for the next time.
For example i'm hoping for:
- a bigger Palinthonon/Ballista
- some more civil, but there's a thread for potential civil sets
- marching greeks (not just hoplites)
- armoured war elephants without turret and with flail-balls, tusk-swords
- ancient and medieval indian empires
- medieval armoured horses (half- and full-mail etc.)
- maybe something minoic?

I don't need romans, but maybe that's a chance to get more ancient at all. What do you think?

When it comes to ancients the really big hole is Byzantines. Obviously, there are several eras that would need to be covered and a lot of different troops types. Such a project would be every bit as diverse and interesting as the coverage of the Western Roman Empire, in fact in my view, even more interesting as it could include medieval troops which could fight Saracens and Crusaders or to take on the Normans in Southern Italy. So far all we have are inadequate sets that have molding issues and try to cover to much ground in a single set or promises from a manufacturer who shall not be named that might take years to materialise or never see the light of day. Come on Strelets, what about filling a serious hole.

Actually, the situation really is not as bad as described here.
Strelets has 3 ancient sets in the pipeline.

M091 - Caesar Army in battle Set 2
M077 - Spartacus Army
http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=204&M=Z
M110 - Spartacus Army before battle
http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=260&M=Z

M110 seems to be part of the next release batch in june.
The masters for M110 & M077 are looking excellent. :+1:

That said, I‘m fully supporting the request for a good range of Byzantines.
Recently I read a lot about “glaring gaps“ in the hobby, for example napoleonic french infantry, Scots Greys or WWII british paratroopers... all reasonably covered in 1/72.:face_with_rolling_eyes:
At the same time the different periods of the powerful & important Byzantine Empire (~330 – 1453) are largely untouched. More than 1100 years of significant impact on european & near east history, that really is one of the most striking gaps in the hobby.
Additionally, the list of possible enemies is quite long: Vandals, Goths, Longobards, Awars, Huns, Bulgars, Rus‘, Arabs, Sassanids, Seljuk Turks, Normans, Crusaders, Pechenegs, Ottomans, ... .

Further additions to Strelets very nice (later) Rome & Enemies range would be very welcomed as well.
Classical & Diadochi Greeks + Enemies could also use a much wider variety in 1/72.

Plenty of room for many more ancient figures to come, even without venturing into all too esoteric areas. :wink:

I agree totally with some wishes of my precursors and have to add still some others

We are missing still more ancient soldiers:

Marching/resting hoplites and light helenistic infantry
Etruscans
Diadoch soldiers especially Ptolomies for Pompeius and Caesars campaigns
Cilicians pirats
Early Byzantines (5th-7th century) - useful for the early arab conquest and late persian campaigns
Armenians
Huns - the huns of Hät are useless giants

Early Roman/Italian Armies as they have a very specific style...

but...

The 3rd century AD for Rome is not covered by anyone I think, most of whats available does early(maybe up to 125AD) or late(post 300AD) but not the middle, though you can perhaps convert some later Roman troops too some extent, essentailly you'd be looking at a mix of old and new with different clothing, helmets etc.. oblong scutums with trousers...

Think here the siege of "Dura Europos" and the Sassanids...

:wink:

Too many Romans, need the diadochian armies, more macedonians for Alexander's campaigns, hoplites, more ancient Indians, I think Persians are covered good though but there is a big gap for the Successor states period.

I absolutely agree with with the findings/suggestion about the 2 big 'hole'

Byzantine Empire (large area with a lot of colorful sets)

Successor States (from Macedonia via Egypt and Seleucids to Bactria and e.g. hellenistic City-States with a lot of different sets: infantry, cavalry and - important - war elephants)

These will open complete new collection ranges.

I'm pleased to see that some other people feel that the lack of Byzantines is a big hole and hope that one day it will get filled. Another thought that has occurred to me is the situation with late Romans. Obviously, another manufacturer quite comprehensively covered them but the sizing and quality of the sets is incredibly variable - nice heavy infantry completely dwarfed by medium infantry and really soft detail on many of the other sets. Although I bought that other manufacturer's range, I have not made much progress in painting them and organising them as an army as this variable quality demotivates me. I would love to see Strelets cover the late Romans with a full range of figures of much more consistent size and quality. There could even be a bit of a crossover with mid-period Byzantines.

sansovino

I agree totally with some wishes of my precursors and have to add still some others

We are missing still more ancient soldiers:

Marching/resting hoplites and light helenistic infantry
Etruscans
Diadoch soldiers especially Ptolomies for Pompeius and Caesars campaigns
Cilicians pirats
Early Byzantines (5th-7th century) - useful for the early arab conquest and late persian campaigns
Armenians
Huns - the huns of Hät are useless giants

Yes,
well - marching hoplites failed in crowdfunding by another manufacturer (i don't know what will happen to them) and the same will do "close-missed-Etruscans".

And i agree with the Diadochs and Huns - even Avars have to be created by mixing up.

... okay i'm no big-empire fan but you all are right, Byzantines are lacking also :slightly_smiling_face: