Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The Perfect Australian Infantryman

Infantry

AIF ICC ignore service cap, 5 pouch? + 4 belt pouches

AIF ICC probably has 9 pouch bandolier

AIF Collection WW1

ICC Collection WW1

Bear in mind the weight and distribution of the ammo a not inconsiderable load...

:wink:

Re: The Perfect Australian Infantryman

So could these double as dismounted (horse) cavalry?

Thinking of 1914 BEF, after a headswap that is. Regards, Pa

Pa
So could these double as dismounted (horse) cavalry?

Thinking of 1914 BEF, after a headswap that is. Regards, Pa
If you want to be picky then British cavalry should have 9 pouch bandoliers (5 pouch used by support troops the ammo weighs a lot!), gaiters and I do believe the portable Hotchkiss light MGs rather then the Lewis(which in any case was not in use in 1914), but I'm sure all these things could be changed...
Though currently the only set anywhere with the Hotchkiss is the Hät Belgian 1914 heavy weapons set, even though most mounted troops used it including the Australian light Horse who were regarded as infantry and as such originally had the Lewis, but for only a short period...

The Cameliers were different, being drawn from multiple units both infantry and mounted, but it does account for some variation in uniform or often lack of it...

One further note I dont believe the Lewis was available even at Gallipoli either...

In short IMO as they are these are only good for the intended purpose (Dismounted Australian mounted infantry) without some alterations...

The name should also be "Imperial Camel Corps (Australian)" there was no Australian camel corps.... Ok thats three:smile:

:wink:

Thank you Ironsides, much appreciated.

The light Hotchkiss is also available from Early War Miniatures with Indian https://earlywarminiatures.com/product/t-l-2-x-indian-cavalry-dismounted-and-operating-a-hotchkiss-mg/ or Australian crew https://earlywarminiatures.com/product/t-l-2-x-prone-dismounted-australian-ight-cavalry-using-mmg/.

I have not seen their Australians but found the Indians to be an excellent match with the WW1 plastic Indian infantry released by another manufacturer in 2011. Regards, Pa