Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buying a range of figures

I have no problem mixing and matching figures from different manufacturers (as I've said on another thread) so long as I like the sculpt and style and the size isn't too far out of whack. Even if there are some differences then I try not to place the figures together.

One of my long term (my wife says "Never ending") projects has been to put together a 1/32 scale recreation of the Alamo for a photo series. I've used figures from about every plastic maker available in the scale and have included some 60mm figures as well. As anyone familiar with 1/32 scale knows, there are currently two "54mm/1-32 scales" - there's an older, smaller 1/32 scale and a newer larger 1/32 scale - the two rarely go together. In that situation I will either use them in different shots or place them so the difference works to create distance.

The big factor to me is style. I prefer figures to look as real as possible, though some sets have appealed to me because I like their "character." I also agree that painting helps many figures - though I don't know whether PSR could do that beyond allowing some collectors to post their work. But even then painting is subjective. There are some guys out here who create works of art - others paint pretty fair enough to look good on a gaming table. It's a matter of taste, I think. I think that's where sites like our host, who allows folks to share their work provides a service.

Nothing like seeing some of the figures displayed here and elsewhere to inspire, encourage, and get a dose of humility at the same time.

It all depends on the historical period I'm interested in to start a project... then I decide which figures I'll be using. If the figures are available in 1/72 plastic, I go with them, if not, then 28mm metal or 28mm plastic. I have figures from many 1/72 manufacturers and if they match I mix them on the same bases, if not, I keep them separate to each own base.

While I don't own any Mars figures, I have seen some painted examples of them, which looked surprisingly good. So yes, a good paint job can be very effective.

Mars seems to have a future release of 1/72 WW2 German Elite Soldiers. It was a scale down version from the 1/32 set. Not sure if they plan to do the same for the rest of the post WW2 figures like the Vietnam War sets and the Delta Force set (Somalia Conflict). Does anyone has any information if they plan to release any new 1/72 sets scale down from their 1/32 series?

I buy and paint figures just for fun.What I mean is that I don’t collect soldiers to display or war game with,just to pass some pleasant time painting them up and giving my brain some much needed downtime.
So in essence I simply buy whatever new products are in my local model shop regardless of which era or manufacturer they represent.I will however attest to a great fondness for Strelets..and that’s not just bluster.

No particular preference I have: Airfix, Atlantic, Caesar, Dark Dream Studios, Emhar, Esci/Italeri, Hät, Odemars/Ykreol, Orion, Pegasus, Revell, Strelets, Valdemar, Waterloo 1815 and Zvezda... and probably a few I've forgotten about... Often the set/s in question were/are the only game in town or was when I bought them...

Some fit better together then others but people come in all shapes and sizes right?...

Whats important to me: good sculpts and a good accurate representation of the subject...

:wink: