Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Napoleonic British infantry

What started out as the simple acquisition of a few new sets to augment what I already had has turned into a total re-organization of my "active" and "retired" collection where highlanders are concerned.

I am currently separating older Airfix, ESCI, Italeri figures to retrieve figures that go with the newer advancing figures and repainting them to match the new Strelets figures. I figure I will try to use them side by side for even a greater variety of poses. I will probably use the newer Highlanders in square set as my firing line and square figures - I realize now I will probably retire most of my Airfix figures for that as well. They have served well and will be put up - with honors (wink) - with other obsolete figures. Not a bad thing. My thanks for giving us such great new figures.

Wayne, which ones match up closest in size/height to the Strelets Highlanders?

I totally agree that the new Strelets Napoleonic figures are truly outstanding.

My Napoleonic British Infantry for Waterloo are dominated by figures from Hat's Peninsular British Infantry(with headswaps) and the New Strelets sets with a few Revell figures, the Higlanders are a bit more diverse with the newer Italeri set, Waterloo 1815 and the New Strelets sets now forming the majority.

The old figures from Airfix, Esci, Call to Arms and old Italeri Highlanders are bit part figures now only there to give a bit of variety.

Just around the corner we have Hat's Landwehr and Strelets upcoming Landwehr and Infantry, all set to form the bulk of Prussians Infantry.

I Really wish Strelets would next produce the same quality figures for the Austrian Infantry (Hungarians with Shakos), and Russian Musketeers (with 1808 Shako).

I'm in agreement with Brian, though I haven't painted the Waterloo Highlanders in square yet - next on list (I'm literally seeing "Red" right now) I've compared them on the sprue and they look to match up quite well. Also, I'm putting the ESCI poses in with the "Highlanders in Attack" to bring more variety of poses - I think they match quite well.

Like Brian, the poor old Airfix and early Italeri guys are just too small - though some of the casualty figures are probably going to be used because there just isn't anything else out there right now that I'm willing to pop for. I know there is a company that specializes in casualties, but I've been unimpressed enough to not bother with them. I don't think with the number of great figures and poses available, I'll miss the old figures, though - after all, there weren't really that many Highland regiments in the entire Army. But, boy, were they impressive! LOL

I also don't see much difference (not enough to count, anyway) between HaT's Peninsular Brits and the new Strelets offerings. I think they compliment quite nicely - unless you're REALLY picky. As it is, I've used some of HaT's British Command figures to provide more command for the Strelets figures I've completed painting. They work for me. Excited about this. Now, if we could just get some good artillery sets...

That is good news, I was hoping that the advancing figures and the officers would fit in with the old ESCI figures and also the officers from the Waterloo 1815 set.

I'll have the marching and at ease figs as well, just because they look so nice.

For me, with battalions smaller than a box of figures, finding sufficient command figures is a challenge.

I'd bought boxes of the Italeri 1815 British infantry set:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1188

I'd even painted some before I decided they were too hefty & consigned them all to the Bits Box.

However, the numerous officers & drummers from these boxes surprisingly fit the new Strelets' BBritish Line infantry well. Scratch build a few ensigns & I can turn out several, fully manned battalions per Strelets' box.

The Scots are a little more difficult but my venerable Airfix Highlanders had long been given metal command figures who can now command Strelets' Highlanders.

donald

A shame there is only one colour per box of British line and Highland infantry, I don't know of many wargamers or modellers who have 90 figures per battalion. I would have preferred two ensigns and one pioneer. Also the Prussian line are a disappointment with their haversack on the right. Almost as bad as the Waterloo 1815 set with the cartridge box on the left. Must try harder.