Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSR Review of Arab Revolt Foot Rebels

Just read it,well I usually agree broadly with PSR, and I do accept their points of criticism. The two manufacturers are both different in style and age , Airfix mid 20th century Strelets early 21st , and their customers are different too , or at least we are older now , and more demanding and know what we want. Had we been listened too as under ten`s we would have said make the animals stand in their base and stay there, make it so the riders stay on their mounts , do Arabs on horses back not carry weapons ? only four foot poses and two of them prone, not enough. Where are the bladed weapons that the Arabs were famed for? etc etc. The Airfix set was the only show in town and will always burn fondly in my memories , but the Strelets set depict Arabs in the early 20th century as we imagine them and want them to be, can I pick fault with the Strelets set ? yes, the vickers condenser , the guy with the dagger looks out of place with a rifle in the other hand, rifle slung would have been better, or kneeling cutting the ring finger off a dead enemy etc, and of course the style is chunkier, but we may have to wait another fifty years for set three depicting the subject, and that would make me 106 ....wonder if I will still be in to toy soldiers:laughing:

The PSR-review is ridiculous and a pity for its editors. I don´t know which accident happened eventually in the past between PSR and Strelets, but PSR seems to have deep reservations against Strelets. No other producer gets so long and overdetailed critics like Strelets - mostly twice so long as an ordinary set-critic. A example: Please compare the last critics of Haet Sassanids with the Strelets Arabs. The real chunky and non-detailed style of the Sassanids received 8 and 9 for its poor sculpting! And Strelets Arabs only 6!!!!

And in contrast to Alan´s obvious love to Haet (look only to his coporate image!), I have bought the Arabs and they are wonderful sculpted - and Haet Sassanids are rubbish and an absolute disapointment for the former impressive producer Haet.

PSR will loose more and more credibility if they will still continue to critic Strelets so obviously unfair .... one possible reason for it? Haet is american like PSR and Strelets not?

I don't think the PSR website and/or reviewer(s) responsible for writing the articles is/are American - from the language (that is to say; expressions, phrases, idioms and metaphors), used throughout their many many articles they are clearly British.

I also disagree (and was surprised) with their opinion/rating of the Strelets Arab foot rebels. Whilst I understand their long standing disappointment of Strelets output from the earlier releases, the recent Strelets sets have been superb - in particular the WWI and WWII (and also newest Ancient, Nappy lines).

I loved the Strelets WWI Arab Cavalry (Lawrence of Arabia set), and the Foot Arabs complement them perfectly.

Hi I think the Arab revolt foot rebels are a great set, but PSR are entitled to their opinion. I also don't believe PSR are anti Strelets as the majority of the latest sets have had positive reviews.
I also don't think its fair to criticise people for voicing there on opinion on this forum everybody should be able to post what they believe without having personal smears levelled at their integrity.
PSR is a great website one of the best on the internet I Wouldn't want to change it even though some times I don't agree with its reviews.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sansovino , I can only assume you have lost something in translation, my comments about Strelets are very positive, and you can see from current and past contributions I am an avid buyer of their products, far more so than of Hat is resent years I may add, my Avatar comes up here automatically, no idea why ,furthermore Strelets have said they have no issue with it, so neither should you. But if Strelets did avatars I would use theirs too, I have no bias. PSR is very British, and if you read through you will see critical reviews of most manufacturers as some time or other. What is important is that PSR has done more to raise the bar than any other single factor in our hobby, so be glad they are critical and the manufacturers do take note, some more than others to be fair, I doubt Mars have ever visited PSR :joy: You will also see in lots of their reviews of Strelets products how impressed they have been with resent improvements, we too have noticed it and no doubt that reflects in sales, so long may PSR continue to be constructively critical it helps us all to get better little toy soldiers. PS I thought the days of attacking people had long gone, kindly refrain from it,this is a forum for like minded people who respect each others point of view and preferences.

I fully agree with Alan!
I also believe that PSR does a great job, although I don't agree with them in all of their reviews.
But I also think that without strelets, our hobby would be at least 50% down. Yes, I strongly believe that the last 2 years, strelets represents about the half of our hobby. And all of us know what hobby means, especially for the British. Isn't it so Alan ???

Marios, We are very keen and enthusiastic us Brits :blush:

Well, it's known for a long time now, that PSR doesn't like this sculptor's style. But giving a set like this a 6 is nearly bordering on a "personal vendetta".

I personally like the character, personality and liveliness that this sculptor gives to his sculpts. Each figure stands for itself. Not just a bunch of clones.

The only slight critic should go to the mold processing as this is the main reason that a lot of finer detail and crispness of this figures get lost and so gives a slightly more awkward result in some areas of the final product.

BTW, to my eyes, the Streltsi is the weakest figure here. It looks dull, lifeless and somehow unnatural... just the style PSR prefers I guess.

Please PSR gives a lot to our hobby I thought the review of the Arab set to be fair PSR is entitled to his opinion. While I also feel that a score of 6 was on the low side it is what PSR thought it should be. The review was not bad and contained some fair comments. PSR in balance gives good and fair reviews even though I like many people do not agree 100% with them. Here are two examples.
Here is a PSR review
These are easily the ugliest thing to have appeared for some time, and they are best viewed at a distance, or not at all. While they are accurate and well cast, it is hard to get round the poor anatomy and stances. How much that will affect the buying decision will vary between customers, but no one is going to put these horrible figures on show as works of art.
Now my personal opinion of the figures nothing good about them they are total s***
Here is a PSR review
This second type is beautiful by any standards, with plenty of detail and realistic-looking folds. The detail on the weaponry is excellent, and while the faces may tend to be a bit bland this is still a quality sculpt. .
My opinion this is one of the best sets ever made but PSR made 8 negative statements about the set.

PS And for once I totally agree with something Quote
I thought the days of attacking people had long gone, kindly refrain from it,this is a forum for like minded people who respect each others point of view and preferences.
Thank you Alan

I suspect it's a stylistic preference as there will always be an element of the subjective in the ratings.

PSR would seem to prefer the sculpting style to be as close to human proportions and natural poses as possible as well items of equipment in true scale. Others prefer some exaggeration of certain features such as heads, hands and weapons so that they stand out on these small figures, as well as making painting easier. Those who buy most ranges of metal figures would seem to belong to this group and Strelets figures often mix well alongside them.

SteveO, exactly! I have also a whole range of 28mm metal FIW figures which I love to bits.

PS
And to be clear, PSR is still my go to page for years now and will always be. No matter the occasional differences in opinion on aesthetics :eyes:

PSR is a great resource for what is new on the market, what the new product looks like (saved me a ton of money over the years), and how each set compares with others out there. The reviews can be enlightening and if I disagree with this or that detail - remember, a review is an opinion and I have my hat off to the amount of information that backs PSR's opinions (even when I disagree).

By now, anyone who has followed PSR knows their preferences and peeves. For instance, we KNOW a combined set of different types of units will be docked points for pose quantity. We KNOW certain companies' styles of sculpting are going to get slammed. But if WE the buyer like them - who cares?

As Confucius said, "One picture is worth a thousand words." And here is where PSR does a great service. True, one can peruse the various sites and get pix of new sets - but we all know we can find about every plastic 1/72 set out there sooner than later on PSR. Even better, we can get a comparison of said figures with similar figures on the market.

So what if PSR doesn't like this set? I can look at the pix, see what kind of plastic, look at the size comparison and decide for myself if I want to fork over my hard earned money to buy it. As for comments? They have been helpful and the amount of research that goes into each is impressive. But one could leave the reviews alone (and be poorer for it, I think) and still find PSR and invaluable resource for the hobby. JMO

Also, for what it's worth, personal attacks and sniping at other manufacturers just cheapens the conversation for me. I don't get it. I don't think either side is helped by folks constantly attacking each other. Personally, I'm a big HaT fan, but I have just bought a ton of the recent Strelets releases and am looking forward to combining both companies' figures. I wish both (ALL of them - Red Box, Mars, Airfix...) companies the best of success as when they are booming - we the consumer are the real winners, even as our bank accounts suffer.

Cheers to all!