Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Next Non-Roman ancients?

I would love to see Byzantines in all their incarnations. I also think that comprehensive coverage of really ancient ancients might be a winner. Both Caesar and Hat (sorry for mentioning them) had a little dabble in this field but didn't go for it in a big way - some better Sumerians would be nice plus foes.

A subject that hasn`t been covered before is the Army of Queen Zenobia of Palmyra.
Would love to see Strelets do some sets for this rather exotic theme.

Another subject that has been only touched on briefly and the two sets we currently have are both rather poor is Huns. This could include Eastern Huns as well as some of their allies and enemies such as Uighurs, pre -Islam Turks as well as European Huns with a wagon set and a set wearing some captured Roman armour and helmets.

I think successor-war armies would be great, including a broad variety, e.g.

Macedonian (Phillip V)
Seleucids (Antiochus III)
Ptolomy
same states in asia minor
greek cities (Syrakus, Rhodos, ...

different type of cavalry
different type of infantry (greek, macedonian, asian etc.)
war elephants

there are really a lot of gaps for ancient and medieval things.

I think a lot of ancient-greek fans would need better indian (Maurya) Sets against Alexanders Macedonians. Also medieval Rajput or Mughal Indians would be very nice, because they are missing until now, but that's another Theme (I thought on Figures using the Chakram, the Pata/Gauntlet-Sword and the Katar-Dagger and so on). New Indians would furthermore give a better army than the existing Sets and fit the Elephants better.

Also Huns and Avars are rare or not existing, even if you can put them together out of many horsemen-sets, but then the army is a bit motionless.
I also asked about camp- and marching greeks/makedonians, as they exist for romans, in the far past.

Another Point is, that there is no armoured war elephant without a turret. They also don't use flail-balls or the tusk-swords active - they just stand around. Maybe that will be fine, so an assault-scene will be possible. As an Addition, swivel-guns could be added to an elephant set, so one set can be used also for medieval to „modern“ indian armies.

I agree with the comments about Sumerians, Assyrians/Babylonians etc., Palmyra, Etruscan, but especially the eastern Cultures are less attentioned, as i can see.

If i'm allowed to add: For medieval knights aren't very much mail-armed horses with full and half mail-coats, i think.
And: While there are the most important early american native nations on the market, there aren't any civil figures for this cultures and also Amazonas-Tupi or Karibs ect. don't exist, as well as mounted Arquebusiers with the capacete/morion-helmet, which can be used widely.
To get mor "ancient" again, what's about minoic or mycenean figures or something "mythological" like Atlanteans?

Sorry, i had a long time to think about, because mostly modern sets arriving the market, which isn't mine.

Strelets
Dear Claus,

we don't have plans for the non-Roman ancient sets at the moment. On the contrary, we're thinking on what else can be done on that field. We believe, that there are some themes, that no one has covered, and we see them as potential for us.

Best regards,

Strelets
Yeah, especially late romans (from 350 to 450) ! :grinning:

How about the Roman siege engines for Masada? Pretty big though..