Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ACW sets - proposals for future releases

Sharpshooters in plastic would be wonderful. One of my suggestions!

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Wodensfeld stuff is still obtainable - and whether any pictures of it exist online (or if someone would upload images here, that would be super).

Xenophon
Sharpshooters in plastic would be wonderful. One of my suggestions!

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Wodensfeld stuff is still obtainable - and whether any pictures of it exist online (or if someone would upload images here, that would be super).

Some are sold through Hagen miniatures but not the sharpshooters I'm afraid, Plastic pelisse had images but gone in the Photobucket fiasco. Someone in the HäT forum used to sell them I also believe.

Thanks... Off on a tangent here: what was the great Photobucket fiasco? I see that I get messages about 3rd party hosting, and no pictures on various sites? But being the last of the great technophobes, I don't really understand ut...

Xenophon
Thanks... Off on a tangent here: what was the great Photobucket fiasco? I see that I get messages about 3rd party hosting, and no pictures on various sites? But being the last of the great technophobes, I don't really understand ut...

Basically photobucket started charging people with an excessive amount of money if they hosted images on other sites, basically if you had images and linked them on any site, you would need to pay a lot. A majority of the users couldn't afford the fees so now all over the net dead images. Plastic pelisse seems to be one of the sites using photobucket..

I see... Benno's forum seems to have lost some of its photos too. Crying shame!

There is a PB fix addon scroll down the forum:

Photobucket Ransomware Fix for Chrome/Firefox

Works for me

John Cunningham in the UK has the molds and was selling them. See the following link and drop him a line. I haven't heard from him in a while.
http://www.vintagewargamingfigures.info/JohnClists/wodensfeld.html

and from the website.
"Method of ordering:

Place the order via email to John
Receive the total cost back from John, this includes postage at actual cost
Make payment (he only takes PayPal from USA folks)
Order is shipped, usually within 3 days

He says that postage from the UK to the USA can be pricey but no order is too small.

Contact John at cunnjoh@aol.com. Of course, he is in the UK, so he might be several hours different in time zones!"

Pictures. The two figures on the right are Wodensfeld sharpshooters
http://plasticpelisse.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/more-wodensfeld-acw-releases-from.html

I'm loving Strelets' American Civil War line, also. What I do like is:

* Both Blue and Gray colors; no generic figures that don't match Union or Confederate

* Sets representing different stages of a battle (a work still in progress with firing lines yet to come)

* I thought the original 3 sets of (Troiani) Commanders Union and Confederates were recently re-run.

* No shortcutting. Union Gettysburg Cavalry fully detailed and both mounted and dismounted (two sets in one - far more than the usual 12)

* Separate Blue and Gray Camp Life and Accessories Sets with wagon drivers sitting for driving wagons, camping, casualties, stretcher bearers, a table and chairs with separate guys strategizing inside one, big, tent ... There are zillions of generic tents out there already ...

* I'd like to see a new set of fully detailed Duryee's 5th N.Y. Zouaves with turbons and in Blue or Red. I like them wearing both blanket rolls and back packs. HaT has already issued a very nice set of Zouaves in both Blue and Gray with fez and no turbon. HaT's Gray set was re-issued and contains accessory heads with straw hats representing Tiger Zouaves. Why make the same thing everyone has already made? Again, with turbon, blanket roll, and backpack. Conte Collectibles made them in 54mm and they look great! Link:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/who-or-what-were-the-zouaves.103208/

GarrisonClay
I'm loving Strelets' American Civil War line, also. What I do like is:

* Both Blue and Gray colors; no generic figures that don't match Union or Confederate

* Sets representing different stages of a battle (a work still in progress with firing lines yet to come)

* I thought the original 3 sets of (Troiani) Commanders Union and Confederates were recently re-run.

* No shortcutting. Union Gettysburg Cavalry fully detailed and both mounted and dismounted (two sets in one - far more than the usual 12)

* Separate Blue and Gray Camp Life and Accessories Sets with wagon drivers sitting for driving wagons, camping, casualties, stretcher bearers, a table and chairs with separate guys strategizing inside one, big, tent ... There are zillions of generic tents out there already ...

* I'd like to see a new set of fully detailed Duryee's 5th N.Y. Zouaves with turbons and in Blue or Red. I like them wearing both blanket rolls and back packs. HaT has already issued a very nice set of Zouaves in both Blue and Gray with fez and no turbon. HaT's Gray set was re-issued and contains accessory heads with straw hats representing Tiger Zouaves. Why make the same thing everyone has already made? Again, with turbon, blanket roll, and backpack. Conte Collectibles made them in 54mm and they look great! Link:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/who-or-what-were-the-zouaves.103208/

The figures in the set released by HäT lacked cartridge boxes, canteens and whatnot, they were very small, 22mm and had no officers. The backpacks were in the European style but the choice of straw hats and such were nice. We need a real Zouaves set, marching, action and so on with different hats, fez, straw hats, turbans and kepis.

Hey Traveller! I would probably get a couple of boxes of Strelets Zouaves, provided they are in the "new style". I have a lot of Revell/Italeri/Esci figs, and the "old" chunky style doesn't fit. (Not that the latter are bad - there is a certain charm to them - but the chunky figs need to be kept among themselves.) Whether that is something that Strelets can be persuaded to do is another matter... I suspect they might be reluctant to do another set of Zouaves when many of us already have the HaT offerings, and their own Crimean set - whatever the imperfections of these many be.

Xenophon
Hey Traveller! I would probably get a couple of boxes of Strelets Zouaves, provided they are in the "new style". I have a lot of Revell/Italeri/Esci figs, and the "old" chunky style doesn't fit. (Not that the latter are bad - there is a certain charm to them - but the chunky figs need to be kept among themselves.) Whether that is something that Strelets can be persuaded to do is another matter... I suspect they might be reluctant to do another set of Zouaves when many of us already have the HaT offerings, and their own Crimean set - whatever the imperfections of these many be.

Doesn't sound like Strelets are interested in Zouaves in their developing ACW range, but I think there's a interest for a real ACW Zouaves set done properly with officers and drummers, and the choice of kepis, turbans and fez. They really add some color to any diorama. Zouaves are especially useful for early war scenes such as Manassas, but maybe there's some resistance to them as most only see ACW troops either in blue or grey.

Zouaves continued on the US side for duration of the war, as I understand it. The Confederates couldn't supply the uniforms, so historically, they are limited to the beginning. Still, they are really cool, and I think there would be a great deal of interest in them. Whether Strelets goes that route will depend on how their other offerings sell.

Here's a question: do you prefer realism or romanticism: would you rather have shabby rebels, barefoot and hairy, or, well, Louisiana Tigers and frockcoats-and-havelocks? Personally, I prefer the latter... but that's me...

Xenophon
Zouaves continued on the US side for duration of the war, as I understand it. The Confederates couldn't supply the uniforms, so historically, they are limited to the beginning. Still, they are really cool, and I think there would be a great deal of interest in them. Whether Strelets goes that route will depend on how their other offerings sell.

Here's a question: do you prefer realism or romanticism: would you rather have shabby rebels, barefoot and hairy, or, well, Louisiana Tigers and frockcoats-and-havelocks? Personally, I prefer the latter... but that's me...

In this scale bare feet can be done with just paint, if there was a set with Havelocks and frock coats I'd buy them, always dreamt of a Manassas diorama with early war troops, Union troops in grey and so on.