Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M127 Arab Revolt Foot Rebels

well I dont know if you realise this but its quite normal for photos to be used as a basis for this kind of work, it short cuts difficultys in proportion and perspective artists have been using this technique since photography was invented pretty much...
You can take any photo and turn it into a painting/sketch without ever lifting a brush if you have the right tools...
Anthony Quinn played Awda abu Tayeh a genuine historical warrior and personally I thought he did it quite well....

Peter O'Toole had the wrong rather graceful appearance and accent for Lawrence in the film. Quinn with the prosthethetic nose looked a not too bad likeness of Auda/Awda (probably not graceful enough) but purists nowadays don't like ethnic swaps no matter how good.

This pastel is by Eric Kennington who was a fine official British war artist and depicts ( the genuine) Auda. Kennington worked together with William Orpen and Muirhead Bone and others as war artists and these were generally treated as commissioned officers or actually had commissions. Nowadays the term is embedded. The Allied dramatis personae (including Lawrence and Allenby) in the Arab Revolt were well covered by Kennington but in the immediate post WWI period. In some respects the drawings are better than the photos. Augustus John also did some excellent studies of Lawrence and Faisal.
Nothing wrong in using the film stills as David Lean's creation strikes more of a chord with more people than the jumbled plethora of accounts, photos, sketches, etc ( intepretation as opposed to solid documentation ). In other words film stills (and the film itself of course) tend to be more exciting.
To overegg
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom (and Revolt in the Desert) nearly always has John or Kennington portraits or photos of Lawrence on the dust jacket but not stills from the film. Confusing O'Toole and Lawrence is my delight but so it seems not a scholars.

Hello, does any one know when this set will be sold in the United States and who would sell them in Washington D.C. I would like to buy about 6 boxes to do battle with the French Foreign Legion.

Thank you

Dear Henry,

all goes well, they will come up before Christmas.
You may try to find the shops here:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Links.aspx#Sellers

Regards,

Strelets