Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Camel Corps Pith Helmets

Hello, just a quickie, just had a look at the masters for ICC. Please, if you are going to give them pith helmets, make them the correct shape. At this time the British pith helmet was the Wolseley. The brim was not equal all the way round; it was short at the front, and wide and square at the back. This was so that the soldier could lie down on the ground to fire his rifle and the brim would not obscure his vision, but his neck would be protected from the harsh sun by the large brim at the back.

The British Wolseley helmet is very distinctive.

Re: Camel Corps Pith Helmets

You are right PDA; I shall be buying the Camel mounted sets(if the camels are the right size) becasue I want the camels and I can modify the pith helmets.
But I shan't buy the dismounted set because the helmets are wrong.

I wonder if Strelets still have time to correct the error?

Re: Camel Corps Pith Helmets

The Wolseley is quite difficult to get right and some other figure makers efforts are not perfect and vary a bit but the best in the set are fine. It was always a "big fit" to leave space over the crown of the head for the ventilator to work. The brim slopes down so it shades the eyes and ears. These Strelets ones sit too high and look small. Other criticisms of shape etc I agree with. Dan Taylor Modelworks do them
http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/wolseley-pith-helmets-232-p.asp
Use them as a swop or a guide to modify the ones in situ on the Strelets figures.
Some officers had "Bombay Bowlers" which were based on Polo (game not mint) helmets which had a flatter crown - particularly so in the post WWI in India, NW Frontier etc.
UK fire helmets (Cromwell F135 type) in the 70s used to have a bit of a Wolseley look about them.