Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pickett's Charge 2

Zouaves in 1/72 plastic is a sad story, HäT released figures without catridge boxes, scabbards and haversacks, in addition to that they were very small, and had an incorrect backpack. Emhar had French zouaves but still lacking and oversized. Strelets zouaves were done in the old style, good poses though.

Italeri had a few in their sets, nice figures but not many poses, also the italeri style is rather cartoonish IMO. 20mm Metal ranges like RSM95 have one nice pose of a marching zouave but sadly no more.

As Alex points out the officers in these sets aren't really appropriate for the ACW. What's more, one need different headgear for different Zouave units, turbans, fez, straw hats and more importantly the kepi (perhaps even one with havelock for early ACW). Ideally a set with separate heads or hats, and one with all correct equipment.

An absolutely amazing likeness of General Lee.Kudos to your sculptor.
I am busily collecting the ACW sets that have already been released and am anticipating those to come,all I need now is time (slim chance of that!).

The Lee figure is spectacular! He & the casualties make the whole set worthwhile! However, I am a bit unhappy with this new style of figures Strelets is making. The advancing figs, I'll give you as they seem realistic, but these poses with rifles slightly forward may be OK for Napoleonics, but for this particular engagement, not so much! By this time, the Confederate troops had been ravaged by long range artillery & by now, are getting raked by canister & rifle fire. All they wanted was to get to the wall. Such uniform looking figures are not very accurate for the desperate battle that was going on by this time! It would be like putting poses like this in WW1 uniforms & having them charge across No Man's Land! These guys might be good for The Peach Orchard, Devil's Den or Little Round Top, but not Pickett's Charge! The cameraman is interesting & a Pickett figure is also good, but to what purpose does the casual drummer serve? Figures for Armistead, Kemper & Garnet would have been nice too.

Bert
The Lee figure is spectacular! He & the casualties make the whole set worthwhile! However, I am a bit unhappy with this new style of figures Strelets is making. The advancing figs, I'll give you as they seem realistic, but these poses with rifles slightly forward may be OK for Napoleonics, but for this particular engagement, not so much! By this time, the Confederate troops had been ravaged by long range artillery & by now, are getting raked by canister & rifle fire. All they wanted was to get to the wall. Such uniform looking figures are not very accurate for the desperate battle that was going on by this time! It would be like putting poses like this in WW1 uniforms & having them charge across No Man's Land! These guys might be good for The Peach Orchard, Devil's Den or Little Round Top, but not Pickett's Charge! The cameraman is interesting & a Pickett figure is also good, but to what purpose does the casual drummer serve? Figures for Armistead, Kemper & Garnet would have been nice too.

The casual drummer is intended for the Confederates standing set, so is the photographer I assume. I agree about the poses though, would have been better with running or at least have the rifles in the levelled "charge bayonets" pose. According to a PSR review one source suggests that the rebels held their rifles at port arms during the charge, muskets held across the chest, this would also have been a good choice.