Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Proletarians, To Horse!

I wonder if this is in some way to mark the upcoming centenary of the October/November Revolution?

Some hopefully constructive comments on the masters:

- In general I think the poses and anatomy are excellent. However I'm not a fan of the sword-slashing-across-the-chest pose which I've never seen done well in a single-part cast. Problem is, if done correctly, there's always a big lump of excess plastic between the elbow and chest. If the arm is modelled flat to the chest it just looks unnatural. Point in figure's favour is the ring hand so the sword can be placed at the correct angle rather than looking like he's "doing a Van Gogh" to the left ear which is frequently the case!

- I think Strelets need to watch that arms don't end up too short. Most look fine here but the bugler's and mounted officer's right arms are perhaps a little suspect though it's difficult to tell from the photos in the flat.

- Unlike the Red infantry, in this case I like the fact that only around half wear the budenovka hat. Those wearing fur hats and peaked caps can be used for a whole range of other WW1/RCW eastern front cavalry including partisans.

- A quick point about the razgovory tabs on the chest; book plates often show these in branch colours which was regulation but reading further it seems this was only for parade and khaki was supposed to be worn at the front. However looking at many contemporary photos of troops in the 1919 uniform shows that tabs were rarely worn at all due to shortages. I could only find photos of officers on parade wearing them.

- Perhaps consider including a few separate, alternative heads with different headgear if space on the sprue permits? (e.g. more budenovkas for those that prefer more uniform, easily identifiable units on the gaming table)

Looking forward to the release!

SteveO
Some hopefully constructive comments on the masters:

Good points, especially about the ring hand guy - I actually thought it was a whip!

Question re: the sword sheaths: Apart from the second they draw swords, would the riders really cling to the sheats instead of the reins?

All round a very promising set, and a nice surprise too! Regards, Pa

Look like step back in quality

for me look like early Strelets style, quiet ridiculous comparing their new standard

Re: Look like step back in quality

Buddy
for me look like early Strelets style, quiet ridiculous comparing their new standard

Sure we're looking at the same figures?

Re: Look like step back in quality

The upper part of the body, in the new style is standard Strelets. The lower part of the body, old style is disproportionate.

Jaques
The lower part of the body, old style is disproportionate.

If so, it could be due to the horses appearing to be the same as used in the old sets. (To be honest, it would be preferable if Strelets came up with new horse sculpts as the combination of leg positions does not look natural in many cases but that's another story)

Buddy

Must admit I'm as baffled as zirrian by this. Here are a couple of examples of the old WW1 cavalry sets:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1029

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1024

Only similarity I see are the horses...