Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Union Cavalry contribution by Mr Buckingham

A very nice group of cavalry Allan they look really good and very tempting.

A great looking set too, I think this is a very good selection of poses for the subject.

Another fine job Alan - definitely a great advertising for what looks to be a great set.

Thanks Gents, The set is very good, in fact just how I would like to see the Durban mounted rifles and other Zulu war irregulars done........well we can all dream

ironsides
I can see a whole bunch of conversions possibly with lot...

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Contribution.aspx?ContID=378

I hope it is not too bold to ask for some examples please? I would love to find an excuse to buy some of these fine sets but the ACW is not in my focus. That's why the suggestions in the parallel thread, while fine for ACW fans, won't work for me.

The jackets seem to short for European cavalry in the 1860-1918 timeframe. Regards, Pa

Pa
ironsides
I can see a whole bunch of conversions possibly with lot...

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Contribution.aspx?ContID=378

I hope it is not too bold to ask for some examples please? I would love to find an excuse to buy some of these fine sets but the ACW is not in my focus. That's why the suggestions in the parallel thread, while fine for ACW fans, won't work for me.

The jackets seem to short for European cavalry in the 1860-1918 timeframe. Regards, Pa

Normally I would cut a figure off at the belt retaining anything necesary, so as long as its attached to a relevant lower portion( even with a little milliput) you can end up with longer tunics.. or a totally different pose.

Sorry, I am less convinced of the quality of Strelets new ACW union sets. Most of the rifles are quite curved and too broad (photo of the painted set!) which it´s really a pity. In contrast: the figures are often too slim and small which makes it difficult to combine them with figures of other producers. Their sculpting is wonderful but the figures need some work to make them convincing.

Curved rifles should be easy to fix at least. Boil a kettle and dip the figure into a cup of the just boiled water. If the rifle doesn't spring back into shape itself straighten it by hand and run under the cold tap to set.

Be careful with boiling water. I used that method with Airfix U.S. Cavalry and the swords and scabbards simply shriveled up. I'd be worried Strelets plastic may also. However I do use hot tap water before bending the parts for conversions (repositioning arms). I just hold it in place until cooled. I haven't needed cold water yet, but probably will for more extreme conversions.

I haven't had trouble with Strelets plastic so far but thanks for the warning about Airfix figs. I've got a few bent muskets in the Waterloo gift set,I'll approach those with caution.

Graeme
I haven't had trouble with Strelets plastic so far but thanks for the warning about Airfix figs. I've got a few bent muskets in the Waterloo gift set,I'll approach those with caution.

Just a note, my experience with Waterloo 1815 and A Call To Arms (ACTA) in that super light tan color, is they use a stiff plastic. I recommend you do any bending or hot water repositioning before you do any shaving/trimming of flash around guns and thin pieces. I trimmed the flash off my ACTA Zulu War British guns then bent the barrels back to normal, and they all eventually cracked and broke where there were sharp corners.

Thank heavans that other company came out with their excellent Islandwana and Rorkes Drift British in a much more user friendly plastic. Hope it helps!

sansovino
... Most of the rifles are quite curved and too broad (photo of the painted set!) ...

Funny, of 21 sets of my Union Cavalry Skirmishing, or 42 sprews, not one of my figures had a bent rifle like the painted picture. Not even the other figure's rifles either.