Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Favourite wargames rules and why

SYW: "A Glorious War". Probably the best rules ever written.....umm, by me!
Fast play & meets all my prejudices about Lace Wars' battles. Large battalions, bloody & you need to appreciate the tactics of the period to get the best out of them. Only $10 for a PDF.

Field of Glory: Ancient & Renaissance versions. A moderately dense set of rules but once you get the hang of them they produce exciting games that mirror the periods of warfare they propose to represent. Meant as a tournament game set but fine for "normal" games too.

General D'armee: new Napoleonic rules. Yet to play them but they will replace our long standing but clunky former N. rules. Reading them suggests they tick all of the boxes. Written by one the most respected rule writers out there (David Brown).

Blitz Krieg Commander: fast play WW2. They simply work. Probably not great for "rivet-counters" who want endless "accurate" detail but good enough for me.

The Men Who Would Be Kings: Colonial set. We've been gaming the Mahdist Wars in them recently & they give a quick & nail-biting game not unlike the venerable The Sword & the Flame but without the clunky mechanisms (carrying your wounded etc).

SAGA: Dark Age skirmish rules that produce short but fun games. The meanest intelligence could learn them.

donald

Re: Favourite wargames rules and why

Men who would be Kings - lovely rules, especially when my tribesmen make very successful additional movement throws and overwhelm regular Europeans before they know what has hit them :-)