Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Caesar sets

MARIOS KONTOGIANNIS
Well,
about new caesar sets, I think we must not complain about it. Caesar gave us some superb sets, and besides beloved strelets and the slow nowadays Hat, it is the only "long range" company still making new models. There is a problem, yes, I admit it. Too many ww2 German sets. Nothing for the Japs or the Soviets and little about Brits or Americans. No Commonwealth too. It's a pity. And some periods totally neglected (ACW and Napoleonic wars for example).
I hope, caesar will find the old spirit and Hat will stand up again. Thanks God, we have strelets!!!

If we don't complain, nothing will change. There were other nations too that fought in WW2 as well as many other periods in history that they tackled briefly, but eventually abandoned. I'm happy they released some early WW1 French, and I'll probably get that box, but not sure about the Germans - I can't really see tha Pak-36 used together with the StG44, but maybe that's just me.

I really hope they'll release the promised Armies of the Crusades and Muslims they listed for a long time now. I painted up the dismounted crusaders set, and it's really awesome, and have a bunch of other kits in my stash.

General hint: Don't complain - just buy Strelets' sets.
The battle for new sets won't be won in discussion but in sales ;-)
Many years ago, I stopped collecting Napoleonics and American Civil War. Because no one delivered sophisticated marching and advancing poses for big batalions.
Strelets now changes everything. So don't hesitate - buy!

Look I am on topic.

The Shang dynasty is a huge period to be covered in half a set. Actually from the Crusades to the Seven Years War in reverse in Western terms ie 12th to mid 18th but minus(BCE). The Chou/Zhou dynasty lops off another 800 years but brings you into Sun Tzu territory and needs chariots.
Like the Chin tomb figures there ought to be some variations of human type otherwise a big army looks strange but surely this gets a 5* off the beaten track award.
Therefore
The longest period in the smallest number of warrior figures.
Does this twice
and in one box.
The French are great as I didn't rate the HaT figures highly but the Emhar plus these might cut it. Some French cavalry of this period would complete the early campaigns figures.
The Fallschirmjager figures have a Panzerbüchse 41 not credited on the box so maybe they couldn't spell it. Airfix did a poor one of these about a 1000 years ago in their pre Cambrian WWII German sets.

David, fully agree with your point about the latest ancient China set but those of us with an interest in what, here in the West, would be considered "esoteric" have to accept that something is better than nothing - as well as being prepared to get our converting chops on :)

However I've no idea if there is a big market in the Far East for 1/72 plastic figures covering their own history so perhaps that assumption is wrong. Over at Benno's site there are a few Chinese 1/72 contributors who are a wealth of information on Chinese history as well as being talented sculptors and convertors (eg lirui, rayloryan and DollPlayer) http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewforum.php?f=11

Another factor is that conversations and links posted to them can be hampered by the "Great Firewall of China" and their safety has to be protected...

Two sets that are not for the thirdreichphiles from Goebbels miniatures - they must be slipping! The other two sets indicate that at least someone in the company has some imagination.

Pity that they cannot follow Strelets example and be consistently original - but unfortunately Nazi products sell!

i could put up with a hundred more german sets if they would release there byzantine set thats been listed forever.

What's the point with WWII figures in 1/72 anyway? The scale is meant for, or best suited for pre WWI conflicts with massed charges in colorful uniforms. But I guess people buy them anyway.

Traveller
What's the point with WWII figures in 1/72 anyway? The scale is meant for, or best suited for pre WWI conflicts with massed charges in colorful uniforms. But I guess people buy them anyway.

But that's fecal matter of a bull.

I've changed my mind about Fueh..erm..Caesar Miniatures. If churning out hordes of WW2 German sets enable them to occasionally release some of their planned ancient/medieval/renaissance era Chinese figures then I'm all for it.

Snapped up quite a few of their Ming troops and hope they do Song Dynasty infantry one day to go with the lonely Italeri cavalry set.

SteveO
I've changed my mind about Fueh..erm..Caesar Miniatures. If churning out hordes of WW2 German sets enable them to occasionally release some of their planned ancient/medieval/renaissance era Chinese figures then I'm all for it.

Well said that man!