Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A small gripe

Paintdog
First, thanks & congratulations for the fantastic Strelets' Napoleonic sets.
I'm eagerly awaiting the British infantry in attack.

Now the gripe.

Many of us use paper flags. Thus, if the figure carrying the flag can't have the plastic flag easily cut off, it's a wasted figure.

If this is all I have to complain about, I'm clearly very lucky!

Agreed. This must end, the plastic flags are terrible, I think about 80% or more of those painting figures use paper flags. Cutting those plastic bits off is tricky and if you cut off the pole then it gets worse.

Re: A small gripe

Agreed 100%

Keep a blade handy and carry on.

We'll cope, of course.

Wargamers are an adaptable lot & conversions &/or seeking out compatible figures is par for the course.

The obvious solution is the old one of using a figure with slopped arms (from the marching set), & replacing the musket with a flag pole.

Still, Strelets, please keep the problems of "figures wrapped in flags" in mind for the next time.

Re: Keep a blade handy and carry on.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice Donald et al, but I really like figures with'dramatic' flags. They always look good in my book--even with my quite ordinary painting.

Takes all types, hey?!

James Fisher
Sorry to be a dissenting voice Donald et al, but I really like figures with'dramatic' flags. They always look good in my book--even with my quite ordinary painting.

Takes all types, hey?!

James, as in all things I respect your opinion.

And you undoubtedly paint those "wrap around" flags with an amazing proficiency.

cheers, donald

Good plastic flags are a must have. I like what Strelets has done; no complaints from me, but if given a design/pose choice, I would prefer flags that are completely open either flat or just a little ripple (not wrapped or a blob on the post), and completely above the head (not wrapped behind the head and certainly not behind his back, being held by one hand between the shoulder and waist height, with the pole bottom end in the base. Or even have the flag bearer pose with a "C Hand" or "Ring Hand" and separate (1) Flag on pole, and (2) Flag pole w/out flag, then we can choose. These choices would work for all nonpainters like me and others who prefer to replace the flags with paper alike.

Both "Thomas Gunn" and "Britain's Deetail" uses this style which I like very much. Unlimited conversion possibities too. Just Google "Thomas Gunn Zulu War Flagbearer" and "Britain's Deetail American Civil War Infantry."

Gents,

I am but one voice, but I like all those crinkly, wrapped around things. Much more interesting to look at in raw plastic and more impressive when painted, IMHO--a good way to hide my average painting too Donald! :)

A pity that there is not scope to satisfy both.

Garrison's suggestion seems the best compromise--definitely no shortage of extra plastic in Strelets' sprue for two or more options! Only trouble is that the 'fit' of such things is never as good as single, moulded figures.

Ah, is there never an end to this minor, insignificant, 'First World Problems'!

James

Have to admit I have a preference for the moulded plastic flags. They have more character to me than paper flags, which look nice printed, but still look like paper.

Danny

Danny
Have to admit I have a preference for the moulded plastic flags. They have more character to me than paper flags, which look nice printed, but still look like paper.

Danny

Fair enough, Danny. I've been printing my flags at work (with permission!) on a very expensive digital colour printer on slightly glossy hi-quality paper. The result is fabulous.

When you get flags/banners with lots of fine detail (eg using some of the excellent Dark Age Saxons from Strelets to hold paper flags with convoluted Celtic designs), a photocopy beats anything I could do with a paint brush.

donald