Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It looks as if we are going against the trend [:-?]

I had two ancestors who fought for the Union in the Civil War. One was killed at a place called Deep Bottom, Virginia. I have been to his grave near
the Petersburg battlefield. I admire their courage (they were both in their
40s when they enlisted) and certainly believe they were fighting on the "good"
side. Nevertheless, I think removing the Confederate statues is disgusting.
They are a part of our mutual history. Political Correctness allows a few
angry, opinionated, fanatics to dictate what everyone else does, says, or
think.

If you removed all statues of people who owned slaves in the USA you'd have to remove some pretty important people in US history, George Washington would be the first to go! so I find it to be rather selective and somewhat hipocriticle... it must confuse an awful lot of Americans...

Who do you think is next - our Founders are already being vilified in some circles because of the slavery issue - sadly IMHO.

Strelets

Strelets

Dear Strelets,

OK, so what do you say the final Big Box Set brings a conclusive end to the American Civil War in 1/72 with the titled theme - "The End of the American Civil War - General Lee Surrenders to General Grant at Appomattox Court House." Maybe including sprews such as:

* One sprew of poses of Confederates Retreating from a battle.
* One sprew of Lee's Northern Virginia Army abandoning Richmond, VA with supplies and encampment pieces (could be used for any time of ACW)
* One sprew of General Lee Surrendering to General Grant at Appomattox Court House with a couple of tables and chairs and Lee and Grant figures plus other Generals standing (can be used anytime throughout ACW)
* Other popular sprews

The Appomattox set could include the figure of Maj-Gen Autie Custer marching off with the historic surrender table balanced on his head

The problem with "vignette"-type boxes is that few people would buy more than one of them. Most of us want firing lines, marching/advancing troops for both sides,and cavalry and artillery. I'll certainly buy multiples of each, particularly the dismounted, skirmishing cavalry and firing lines. I wouldn't even purchase one box of personality figures and surrender accoutrements.

Ian Bruce
The problem with "vignette"-type boxes is that few people would buy more than one of them. Most of us want firing lines, marching/advancing troops for both sides,and cavalry and artillery. I'll certainly buy multiples of each, particularly the dismounted, skirmishing cavalry and firing lines. I wouldn't even purchase one box of personality figures and surrender accoutrements.

The advantage of a Big Box Set is you can cover multiple themes. I'm giving as examples here the Confederate Army abandoning Richmond, which you could do a sprew of Confederate Camp Life. The Retreating sprew could be used for any battle. The Surrender sprew could contain both sitting and standing Generals on both sides. We already have the riding poses from the Commander sets. By the way, the specialty Personality Commander sets were three of Strelets early best sellers. I bought 10 of each myself especially for conversions and Strelets has agreed to re-run them again by popular request. But yes, most people only buy 1, maybe 2 Big Boxes because of the high price, and Strelets knows this. I'd buy at least two, one for Surrendering, and another for having Lee strategizing with his other generals battle plans. My idea is that all of the sprews could be used for other purposes, not just surrendering. We would never even get to this box if customers don't buy multiple sets of firing lines, marching/advancing troops for both sides, and cavalry and artillery and dismounted, skirmishing cavalry. So, my suggested sets collectively could cover the entire event of the downfall of the Confederacy, as well as being used for any ACW battle. Granted, the idea is a novelty, but I'd buy at least one especially since it was such a famous event, studied, written about, and so many videos recreating it.

GarrisonClay
Ian Bruce

The advantage of a Big Box Set is you can cover multiple themes. I'm giving as examples here the Confederate Army abandoning Richmond, which you could do a sprew of Confederate Camp Life. The Retreating sprew could be used for any battle. The Surrender sprew could contain both sitting and standing Generals on both sides. We already have the riding poses from the Commander sets. By the way, the specialty Personality Commander sets were three of Strelets early best sellers. I bought 10 of each myself especially for conversions and Strelets has agreed to re-run them again by popular request. But yes, most people only buy 1, maybe 2 Big Boxes because of the high price, and Strelets knows this. I'd buy at least two, one for Surrendering, and another for having Lee strategizing with his other generals battle plans. My idea is that all of the sprews could be used for other purposes, not just surrendering. We would never even get to this box if customers don't buy multiple sets of firing lines, marching/advancing troops for both sides, and cavalry and artillery and dismounted, skirmishing cavalry. So, my suggested sets collectively could cover the entire event of the downfall of the Confederacy, as well as being used for any ACW battle. Granted, the idea is a novelty, but I'd buy at least one especially since it was such a famous event, studied, written about, and so many videos recreating it.

I love the surrendering idea, perhaps something like this could be released during the 155th anniversary of the surrender but that's like 3 years from now lol I wouldnt want to wait that long. But why not a personality or bonus figure like Capt Sims with the white surrender/truce flag on a tree branch or his sword? I think sets with personality figures and unique themes would sell. Theres a 54mm Appomattox set so why not in 72nd scale?

And why not the Mclean house with removable roof, maybe some deluxe kit..

Traveller
GarrisonClay
Ian Bruce

I love the surrendering idea, perhaps something like this could be released during the 155th anniversary of the surrender but that's like 3 years from now lol I wouldnt want to wait that long. But why not a personality or bonus figure like Capt Sims with the white surrender/truce flag on a tree branch or his sword? I think sets with personality figures and unique themes would sell. Theres a 54mm Appomattox set so why not in 72nd scale?

And why not the Mclean house with removable roof, maybe some deluxe kit..

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your input and ideas. I'm glad you see the potential here. Maybe some customers have forgotten or never knew there was only a Mounted Confederate Command set made before, whereas there are Union Mounted and Foot Commanders. So I feel some type of Confederate Foot Command Sprew would even things up. And the rest of the sprews can be anything. BTW, I like your ideas very much!

Cheers to ya!