Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ACW Union Cavalry

Strelets

Apparantly someone suggested on another forum that the carbine slings are backwards, the buckle should be on the back.

The quickloader is also more accurate for very late war dismounted cavalry.

Merry Christmas Mr Bruce ....your wish has been granted at long last, may even buy a set or two myself.

Cheers, Alan. I was beginning to think I'd never see the dismounted, skirmishing cavalry I've wanted for so many years...and may your own Zulu impis be complete soon. Bayete!!!

Traveller
Strelets

Apparantly someone suggested on another forum that the carbine slings are backwards, the buckle should be on the back.

Dear Traveller,

I have been looking at pictures of Cavalry Carbine Slings on the internet and more often than not, but maybe 50/50 reinactors, period photographs, paintings, illustrations, all scales of Military Miniatures - painted metals and plastics, etc. show the buckle slightly over the Cavalrymen's front, left shoulder; both Union and Confederate. Whether front or rear, it must have been personal preference.

The Spencer 7-Shot Carbine was used by Cavalry throughout the entire Civil War. But because of the high rate of firing power, and cost and logistics associated with that, the War Department was slow to make it readily available to all Troopers. Confederates were not supplied with them, but acquired some from the field, when possible; ammo was unique and hard to come by.

I have been looking at the Airfix Cavalry for half a century with their Carbine Sling buckles on the back, but the fronts are detailed like a Bandolier, for so long, they look normal!

I'm no expert, but I think Strelets did a perfect job of researching and designing their soft plastic Union Cavalry. Just like they did with their ACW Commanders sets.

Anyway, I'll share with you a link with photographs of weapons and accoutrements. Two studio photos of Troopers show Carbine Slings - one (must be) buckled on the rear and the other on the front. For me, these beautiful Strelet's Cavalry look perfect. Link:

http://www.thomaslegion.net/americancivilwar/unionconfederatecavalry.html

GarrisonClay
Traveller
Strelets

Dear Traveller,

I have been looking at pictures of Cavalry Carbine Slings on the internet and more often than not, but maybe 50/50 reinactors, period photographs, paintings, illustrations, all scales of Military Miniatures - painted metals and plastics, etc. show the buckle slightly over the Cavalrymen's front, left shoulder; both Union and Confederate. Whether front or rear, it must have been personal preference.

The Spencer 7-Shot Carbine was used by Cavalry throughout the entire Civil War. But because of the high rate of firing power, and cost and logistics associated with that, the War Department was slow to make it readily available to all Troopers. Confederates were not supplied with them, but acquired some from the field, when possible; ammo was unique and hard to come by.

I have been looking at the Airfix Cavalry for half a century with their Carbine Sling buckles on the back, but the fronts are detailed like a Bandolier, for so long, they look normal!

I'm no expert, but I think Strelets did a perfect job of researching and designing their soft plastic Union Cavalry. Just like they did with their ACW Commanders sets.

Anyway, I'll share with you a link with photographs of weapons and accoutrements. Two studio photos of Troopers show Carbine Slings - one (must be) buckled on the rear and the other on the front. For me, these beautiful Strelet's Cavalry look perfect. Link:

http://www.thomaslegion.net/americancivilwar/unionconfederatecavalry.html

I did the same research and results were the same, seems like some had it on the back and others on the front. By quickloader I meant the Blakeslee quickloader, the long cartridge box, I think this belongs more to the later part of the war.

A link with some info:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10788.0.html

Strelets

Dearest Strelets,

Thank you for posting this latest Teaser picture of your ACW Union Dismounted Cavalry. I'm going to repeat myself - The level of detail and authentic poses just blow my mind. Again, the kepi with Crossed Sabres looks so cool!

And this latest figure with the Colt Navy Revolver brings back a memory in particular. My Grandfather had this very same "Navy Colt" and a a Cavalry Officer's Sabre hanging on his fireplace mantle. As a grade school student, he used to let me take the Navy Colt down and handle it. I couldn't believe how heavy it was! It took me both hands to hold it up.

OK, thank you again and don't hesitate to keep teasing us with more pictures

Your's faithfully - GC

It's awesome that we're finally seeing some new ACW figures. I was never planning on getting more figures for this campaign but after seeing these masters I might reconsider Also gives me hope that we might see some new FFL figures one day.

Re: ACW Union Cavalry - Strelets ACW Troopers

Well, wow! These "Teaser Pictures" of Strelet's ACW Troopers with the Spencer repeater carbine represents one of the most well equipped of an individual soldier at that time able to deliver devastating firepower that was the equivalent of 3 other troopers using a Sharps carbine or one of the others also used. The Spencer repeater was capable of delivering 20-30 rounds per minute, whereas the Sharps single shot up to 10 rounds per minute, both of course in capable hands. Add to his arsenal, a six-shooter revolver, sabre, (maybe a knife) and wow, this guy on his trusty mobile steed was a rolling one-man tornado. And what a sight he must have been riding in his dapper uniform.

I very much enjoyed the recommended reading as well as other sources on the men and their weapons for this conflict. This set looks to me to represent the best of the best the Union had to put in the field on horseback. Between the outset of the war in 1861 until the end of 1863, there had been much innovation in weapons and the ability to provide supplies for them. Also acquisition of horses and proper training for the men. Cost and logistics was always a concern and a hindrance, but during this time the North's war machine was coming together and beginning to work.

I love this set exactly as it is and I'm glad Strelet's design team uniformed and equipped them the way they did. I think this set tells a story without words. In soft plastic, it will also give some the opportunity to easily convert them to cavalry with other weapons such as the Sharps carbine. What fun. I may just buy twice of what I need just to do this myself!