Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WW1 figures

Yes to more WW1. Yes to Serbs. Yes to Romanians and Bulgarians. Yes to Ottomans.

How about a mountain gun or two, with and without mules and muleteers? French Colonial forces would be good. And I'm going to dare to suggest British, Canadian, and Australian trench raiders.

petrovici radu
I think that cavalry sets for 1914 french and austro-hungarians would be really great. (...) The horses are there already, in the other german sets. The french with minor conversions can be used for 1870 as well. The crimean chasseurs d'Afrique can be enlisted for 1914. Now would it not be great to have the cuirassiers with their breastplates? Then the dragoons and the third set the light cavalry- chasseurs and hussars had similar uniforms.

Early War Miniatures had a great idea: They released 1914 French cavalry skirmishing on foot, MG included. I think that was the most common way for them to fight. I would link to their website but it is currently under construction and a major relaunch is due next week.

I would rather prefer them in plastic!

Jerzy, could you please remind us again how to tell the WW1 Bulgarians from the WW1 Russians - footgear and arms apart?

That is the same question people had about the Nassauers for the Napoleonic wars. Yet the sets of Nasau infantry were one of the top sellers according to HaT.... The same question was also asked about the French Guard Grenadiers and the French Chasseurs of the Guard, the difference being the plaque on the bear-skin.

So, I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't work anymore. :-))

Footgear, weapons and other details are enough for me to warrant a set of WW1 Bulgarians.

Cheers to all!
Alex

Alexandre
That is the same question people had about the Nassauers for the Napoleonic wars. Yet the sets of Nasau infantry were one of the top sellers according to HaT.... The same question was also asked about the French Guard Grenadiers and the French Chasseurs of the Guard, the difference being the plaque on the bear-skin.

So, I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't work anymore. :-))

Footgear, weapons and other details are enough for me to warrant a set of WW1 Bulgarians.

Cheers to all!
Alex

Same goes for WW2 Hungarians - WW1 Germans WILL NOT work as such.

bulgarians

Hi Pa! I will chime in that the russian shirt is very different from the bulgarian tunic. The gimnastiorka is very difficult to morph into a buttoned tunic. Then of course it is your right to take any figure and call it what you want. And it is our right not to call it so.

Re: bulgarians

petrovici radu
Hi Pa! I will chime in that the russian shirt is very different from the bulgarian tunic. The gimnastiorka is very difficult to morph into a buttoned tunic. Then of course it is your right to take any figure and call it what you want. And it is our right not to call it so.

Thank you petrovici radu for the information about the uniform differences.

The two other replies I have not understood in which way they refer to Bulgarian WW1 uniforms, but that might be just me.

Eastern European certainly are over looked. Early and late war Serbians have been over looked. Certainly, the Lawerance of Arabic set cries out for some Arabs on foot.

What I really would like to see is the artillery crews to be sold separately especially A001 and the 9.2". Tank crews British/French/American/German are also a must!

Talking the the 9.2" - yet another excellent contribution using this set.

Pa
petrovici radu

Thank you petrovici radu for the information about the uniform differences...
I think an answer to this depends on what year in the war we are talking about. In 1915 they did look "Russian-ish" but with enough differences (as has already been pointed out) that Russian figures won't work:

Towards the war's end, their uniforms had more German elements, but again, with enough differences that German figures won't do:
Note that this type of helmet is not represented (yet) in 1/72 plastic.

answering to Pa

Well, I did intend to keep
my reply short in the last two sentences. Now I see that it might be read as condescending, wich was not the intention, and I appologize
if it was read as such. I just wanted to say that it is a personal choice on deciding what compromises you are willing to do when accepting a figure in your army. I had worked on a russian WW I army, where besides Hat (not at all
happy with missing bayonets on rifles), Zvezda and Strelets, the horrible Redbox Boxer uprising russians are also serving in infantry, with painted peaks where there are not any. But the Redbox set works for me, the peak on the cap
was so small anyway, that even at close look they are ok for WW I painted accordingly. The Zvezda infantry will do more duty in WW II as border guards and NKVD troops along the Zvezda dedicated set. I did look into painting Hat russians as bulgarians, but the major obstacle was the gimnastiorka. Thus your reply, discouraging Strelets from making a dedicated set of bulgarians, did frustrate a couple of the fellow contributers on this forum.

Re: answering to Pa

Many thanks for taking the time to post this here PDA. Info on the Bulgarians is quite scarce, and sadly missing from the overview at Landhips:
http://www.landships.info/landships/uniform_articles.html#

petrovici radu
...it is a personal choice on deciding what compromises you are willing to do when accepting a figure in your army. I had worked on a russian WW I army, where besides Hat (not at all happy with missing bayonets on rifles), Zvezda and Strelets, the horrible Redbox Boxer uprising russians are also serving in infantry, with painted peaks where there are not any. But the Redbox set works for me, the peak on the cap was so small anyway, that even at close look they are ok for WW I painted accordingly. The Zvezda infantry will do more duty in WW II as border guards and NKVD troops along the Zvezda dedicated set. I did look into painting Hat russians as bulgarians, but the major obstacle was the gimnastiorka. Thus your reply, discouraging Strelets from making a dedicated set of bulgarians, did frustrate a couple of the fellow contributers on this forum.

Agreed it is a matter of personal taste which compromise to do, or not.

Re: the Russians, mine are nearly complete. I added some bayonets where I could. The Zvezda are stunning as concerns detail and poses, but there is a problem where I for one don't compromise, and that is scale. For my personal taste (add as many exclamation marks here as needed) they are too tall. The Redbox have also been drafted and I would like to add the blanket/coat rolls over their shoulders but probably won't bother. Shallow detail but at least the right scale for me.

Re: my reply, I was asking a simple question for information and it would be definitely overrating my influence on Strelets to state this made them decide in one way or another. If Strelets can see the differences from the info posted here it will help them to decide. So you and PDA have helped by providing info.

Again in my personal view, the Balkans are much underrated as a WW1 theater in the West, so I hope a manufacturer from the East does those armies justice. Regards, Pa