Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets Highlanders on the March

Hi

I can only agree with what is stated above. These guys look superb. Lot's of details and realistic character in the figures. I also love the large (for Strelets standards) command set. I have just one question. All wear wings, is that right?
I know all Light infantrymen wore wings, but I did believe that in Highland (line) regiments only the flanquers wore wings.
If so, it would be interesting to know if Strelets is planning a set of centre company Highlanders as well...

Cheers,

Pieter

Well, I have the highlanders from Waterloo 1815, Airfix, Italeri and Esci, but I'll be ****ed if I don't get these, they look bloody gorgeous! Shame I can't field that much highlanders! :D

Hi Strelets

I am a great fan of much of your work, with many having so much character. I am especially really looking forward to the "Highlanders on the March", that appear to be for the Napoleonic period. However, there are a few minor items I might suggest to make the set even better and more historically accurate. The items I shall list below:-

1. The examples shown on your site as indicated on 22/09/2016 appear to be all of the Elite companies (Grenadier and/or light) as indicated by the wings on their shoulders as opposed to white tufts indicating a "centre"company. These elite companies would have constituted only two companies (1x Grenadier and 1x Light) of the overall battalion, the other eight companies would be made up of the "centre" companies with the tufts on their shoulders. You can see some useful examples of these on this site:-

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/detail_uniteBR.php?rubrique=U&unite=26&nation=1

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/detail_uniteBR.php?rubrique=U&unite=173&nation=1

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/detail_uniteBR.php?rubrique=U&unite=22&nation=1

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/detail_uniteBR.php?rubrique=U&unite=27&nation=1

2. The standard bearer would normally be a junior officer (ensign) who would normally be accompanied by several "colour" sergeants, carrying long pikes (ie Spontoon). Also, British/Scottish battalions would have two flags, one being the "Kings colours" the other being the "Regimental colours". Furthermore, due to flags being often difficult to paint their complicated designs, many people frequently like to use paper flags that can achieve a far greater "professional" look. Hence, it would be so appreciated if a staff could be supplied.

3. The water containers seem to be incorrect, with a very thick edging on some of the troopers.

4. The troopers carrying their muskets via the slings with fixed bayonets would be highly unlikely (I believe), as the bayonets would be attached when being readied for combat, not while doing "general marching" as they seem here.

5. Officers would most likely be wearing trousers while in the field or on campaign. Though this officer is superb in his finery, he is obviously strolling off to a evening party or around town, certainly not off to deploy for battle.

6. The Scottish regiments would have been famous for their bagpipes, being arguably their national iconic instrument. Though off course it would be great to have both a "pipes and drums".

7. I can appreciate peoples comments regarding the line work already etched on the tartans, as it does make it difficult for painting.

Thank you so much, I do hope some of these comments are of some help.

Kind Regards
Michael

Dear Michael,

thank you for your message & e-mail.
- you are right about "elite" companies, but we assumed, that it would be easier to remove them with a sharp blade, than stick the missing wings made of green staff or alike to the tufts.
- sergeants will come out in a different set.
- we've never seen paper flags in figures sets, although we appreciate your idea.
- when we'll publish the artwork for the set, hopefully, you'll see, that they are very ready for a combat.
- officers in trousers will be available from different sets.
- of course, they will have bagpipes; depriving them of this unique feature would have been equal to stripping them off their kilts!

Please be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Hi there

Thank you so much for your reply. Regarding the flags, there are various free and paid sites where you can acquire and/or adjust various flags.

Am really looking forward to your final product

Kind Regards
Michael

These Highlanders are Fan Dabi Dozi!

I really can't think of a time I have been more excited by a new Strelets set of figures, so I have been trying to gather some information on the Napoleonic Highlanders this is what I have found mainly from the internet and a few books I have, so feel free to disagree, add, correct or confirm anything.

During the Napoleonic Wars in the British Army there were 11 Highland Regiments and they served in Europe, India, the Caribbean, the Americas, South Africa, the far East and numerous other places where the British Empire had an influence.

All the Highland Regiments at least up until 1809 wore the Kilt and Feather Bonnet, after which time some continued wearing the Kilts and others lost their Highland status and changed to wearing regular British infantry uniform in order to appeal to none Highland recruits (Lowland Scots, English and Irish) to help fill the ranks, below I have tried to clarify who wore what and when.

42nd Royal Highlanders Black Watch; were the only highlanders to wear the kilt throughout the Napoleonic Wars and along with the 79th and 92nd were the only three Kilted Highlanders present at Waterloo.
http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteBR.php?uniformes=22&nation=1
79th Cameron Highlanders and 92nd Gordon Highlanders both wore the Kilt for the majority of the Napoleonic Wars except in the Peninsular when after 1809 their worn out kilts were made into tartan Trews before being replaced by grey trousers by the time they appeared at Waterloo they had been resupplied with Kilts.

78th Ross-shire Buffs wore the Kilt for the majority of the Napoleonic Wars and were mainly stationed in South Africa and India, the 2nd battalion did see action during the 100 days whilst on garrison duty at Nieuwpoort in Belgium, however even more intriguing it would seem a detachment of five men (2 officers, a sergeant and 2 Privates) were at Waterloo or Quatre Bras as they were awarded the Waterloo campaign Medal.
http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteBR.php?uniformes=105&nation=1

71st Glasgow Highlanders stopped wearing the kilt in 1809 when they became a Light infantry regiment and ordered to wear grey trousers along with a unique Shako with the bonnet dicing.
http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteBR.php?uniformes=29&nation=1

72nd, 73rd,74th (Argyll),75th and 91st (Argyllshire) lost their Highland status and changed to wearing regular British infantry uniform in 1809 in order to appeal to none highland recruits (Lowland Scots, English and Irish) to help fill the ranks.

93rd Sutherland Highlanders were stationed in Ireland and South Africa before being dispatched to the War in North America at which point they swapped their kilts for Tartan Trews and their feather Bonnets for Kilmarnock Bonnet.
http://a54.idata.over-blog.com/600x490/4/97/74/44/planches-uniformes/93rdhighlander1814.png

Many Highland Officers and Flag Bearers (Ensigns) wore the Kilt up until 1809 unless mounted on horseback in which case they wore Trews or Trousers for practical reasons, after 1809 they all wore Grey trousers.

Bagpipers tended to keep wearing Kilts regardless of whether they lost their Highland status or not.

As for what was worn under the Kilt please see the film Carry On up the Khyber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8atKXFZefA

Brian
As for what was worn under the Kilt

There's nothing worn under the kilt, it's all in perfect working order.

Well, someone had to.

The box Art is taking shape they look like Gordon Highlanders to me.

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=272&M=B

No of figures

Hi everyone,

I am trying to work out number of boxes i will need of the highlanders and the poles, I have checked the site and also plastic soldier review but sets have differing amounts in each box.(I do 36 man units for my french and 30/36 for my allied forces)

I have been a collector for many years and have more figures than i would like to admit too. These great sets looking like dozens more boxes being added to the unpainted pile.

Many thanks in advance,

Allan

Re: No of figures

Dear Allan,

all poles, highlanders and brits sets will have 44 figures:
4 x 1 command group
10 x 4 soldiers

Please, be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Strelets

4 x 1 command group
10 x 4 soldiers

Best regards,

Strelets

Did someone mention Brits! could be the British Infantry are about to get their Marching orders.

Dear Strelets

I have read your post detailing figure contents for the Highlanders on the March set. Thank you for providing the quantity numbers for the figures, if only one piper is included I would prefer the piper who has both hands on his bagpipes raising the spirits of the men playing a tune for the march.
Please may I request for you to include the sergeant with a spontoon in the set. The sergeant fits in very well with the Highlander marching unit as shown in the images in the link kindly provided by Brian.
For me the sergeant is one of the key figures that would make the set complete as a whole. The exclusion of this figure would make the command group incomplete.
While I am very happy to here there may be other Highlander sets forthcoming, please do not say the sergeant will be included in a future set as this will result in waiting for the next proposed Highlander set in order to obtain the sergeant to complete the marching units provided by the Highlanders on the March set. This in turn may result in a lack of sergeants for other units unless there will be more than one type of sergeant pose included in other Highlanders sets.
This set(140) shows so much promise to be an outstanding figure set. I am sorry to say the exclusion of the sergeant would somewhat sadden me - an opportunity missed...

Best regards
Libero

Thank you very much for that info,

lots of great new sets coming out and i am loving the new more slender style and the more unusual sets.

cheers

Allan

Strelets
Dear Allan,

4 x 1 command group
10 x 4 soldiers

Best regards,

Strelets

Bummer - two command sets would have been ace as I'm making 24-men units.

Re: No of figures " highlanders and the Brits"

44 figures works fine for me. I was interested to see the comment about "highlanders and the Brits". Does this mean another set of Line infantry perhaps?? yes please.

Re: No of figures " highlanders and the Brits"

the box art reminds me of the highlander's in the film the Buccaneer . the story of the pirate jean la fyette in the battle of new orleans.