Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lawrence of Arabia

I read this review as well and would agree that is unnecesarily critical, not particularly of the set which I think is quite good enough within its limitations no camels and some odd choices for weapons (I do believe a lot of old reworked rifles were supplied by the British for the irregulars most likely Martini Enfields or similar which might cause some confusion with the SMLE chambered for the same ammunition), but the critisism of T.E.Lawrence, particularly the bit about self promotion odd when the man changed his name and wrote under pseudonyms to avoid attention...
Seven Pillars rings true to me at least but I'm no scholar on the subject, its a good read and I would recommend it...

Personnally I will probably use the set to face or recruit to The Army of Africa and the FFL as I'm always on the lookout for suitable figures...

I think the Camel mounted Lawrence contained in the Airfix set is pretty good myself...

At the risk of being lynched by my peers I beg to differ, I think taken as a whole it`s a fair review, three 10`s and two seven`s that would delight many manufacturers of many sets. The comments about the Lawrence figure are fair, but Strelets have helped single him out for our benefit and to market the set as Lawrence not Arabs/Bedouin, the two pistols are massively over sized, the rifle`s do lack detail , so all once again fair. Lawrence was written up by the worlds press both during and after the revolt, Britain particularly wanted to distract the public from the horrors of the Western front, the desert was glamour and with relatively low casualties, so made good press. Not the time or place to discuss Lawrence the man and myth, but it is the right place to discuss the 1/72 figure set depicting him, and I think it`s long overdue, quite superbly executed, probably Strelets best ever set in my opinion, and has left me wanting more, on foot and as PSR says on Camels.

Right, the C96 and the revolver are 4XL-size. The latter could also represent a standard Webley, since the Colt SAA should feature a prominent ejector tube under the barrel.

However, this set is outstanding.

Okay, the 1/72 version is loosing a little bit of the crisp shape of the masters. But nevertheless sculpting should have earned more than 7 PSR-points. Just make a comparison between the LoA-set (7) and the BUM 5001 Republican Army ( . Would like to see a new Zvezda or Caesar set released as a Trojan Horse in a Strelets box. I bet it could score 8 or 9 but never a 10 because of the 'chunky Strelets style'

I wont lynch Alan or formally execute him for traitorous allegiance but just agree. I can't see what PSR has written that is unjustified except perhaps that the Han Solo laser blaster pistol packing figure's arms are fairly easy to bend so simple to divert from shooting a fly off his friend's nose to shooting a Turk (who may have been his friend at one time). I always find the reviews a bit heavy on the history but maybe that is personal. I can read and use the internet and often a reference would suffice.
The horses look a bit heavy but then there are some real plastic horrors in boxes from other manufacturers that escape comment. So on a sculpting scale from a home made rocking horse, starved hippo to Adrian Jones*, Peace Quadriga horses, Wellington Arch these would be just over half way. A nimble and responsive horse was the Arab mount rather than a a heavyweight charger. On the other hand the less well off in Sharifian armies could be seen on donkeys or asses or two up on camels just to keep up.
Not Peter O'Toole but the real TE had a very distinctive face as in photos and the Augustus John portrait. Eric Kennington's portrait head sculpture captures him well in three dimensions. This is probably why identification of the man himself in the set is a bit difficult.

David

*trained as a vet but turned to sculpture.

Hang, Alan!! Hang 'im high!!! ;-)

I will go get the rope.....

Alan Buckingham

But for safety reason please only get a PSR (plastic soldier's rope)

0nn0
Alan Buckingham

But for safety reason please only get a PSR (plastic soldier's rope)

One could be obtained from the old Atlantic Outlaws and Sheriffs set!

Received a set today and they look great!