Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
IMPERIAL (DISMOUNTED) CAMEL CORPS (ICC - Dismounted Set) for Lawrence of Arabia Range

I'd like to see Strelets make a set of British Dismounted Imperial Camel Corps for the Lawrence of Arabia Range. The ICC with a British Battalion fought exclusively with T.E. Lawrence in the Arab Revolt during 1918, and in July carried out operations sabotaging the Hejaz railway line, including the successful attack on Mudawwarah Station.

The ICC British Battalion was chosen specifically because they would have to fight deep in the desert making quick, silent surprise raids on Turk Garrisons protecting their railways, and camels were the answer. Riding their camels, they could cover large distances very quickly, then dismount, and surprise their enemies and fight as “Dismounted Infantry”.

This set needs no camels. Another famous company has a Camel Corps for Khartoum and The Sudan (1898) with beautiful saddles and accoutrements already. A simple head conversion and you'll have this set mounted, fulfilling Strelets goal of filling gaps.

Although there are other WWI Brit sets out there, they were not specifically for the Lawrence and the Arab Revolt.

These men show the British Camel Corps wearing their best fighting uniforms in their handsomest field gear for good old hand-to-hand fighting.

Link to book with ICC Dismounted charging a Turk garrison on thecover:

https://www.amazon.com/Arab-Revolt-1916-18-Lawrence-Campaign/dp/184603339X

Re: IMPERIAL (DISMOUNTED) CAMEL CORPS (ICC - Dismounted Set) for Lawrence of Arabia Range

Dear GarrisonClay,

thank you for your message.
We saw the merits of your suggestion, but, regretfully, we seem to be the only ones...

Best regards,

Strelets

Re: IMPERIAL (DISMOUNTED) CAMEL CORPS (ICC - Dismounted Set) for Lawrence of Arabia Range

Dear Strelets,

Thank you very much for your consideration. Hope you keep the door open to my suggestion as a possible future set as well as others. In spite of existing Turkish sets for the Arab Revolt, I'm hopeful you'll make one or two sets of Turkish Infantry and Artillery for this Range. There is so much that could be done for this subject.

As it stands already, a huge portion of my collection are your figures - Imperial Romans and enemies, Crimean War, War of 1812, American Civil War, Wild West, Boer Wars Colonial, Russio-Turkish, soon to be Lawrence of Arabia, and others.

I only wish I could go thru my childhood again to have more time to enjoy your figures. OK, thank you, again for listening!

Best wishes - GC

Strelets
Dear GarrisonClay,

thank you for your message.
We saw the merits of your suggestion, but, regretfully, we seem to be the only ones...

Best regards,

Strelets

Dear Strelets,

this seems an odd thing to say.

I probably don't want this set. As one person, I hardly think my lack of interest should hold any weight. Hank wants it & ditto. But if you're basing a decision to make or not make a set based on *two* opinions, that seems, as I said, odd.

As a complementary set surely the number of the first sets sold should provide a guide in that most who bought it would want the Camel Corps?

Anyway, I think you should re-consider your decision.

Whilst I would almost certainly buy the set, I can think of a few others for Arabia that I would prioritize ahead of it, but that is a personal thing, based on my knowledge of the campaign and that the Arab forces involved had such interesting uniforms regardless of who`s side they were on, the other thing is that this set are a relatively easy conversion.

Alan Buckingham
Whilst I would almost certainly buy the set, I can think of a few others for Arabia that I would prioritize ahead of it, but that is a personal thing, based on my knowledge of the campaign and that the Arab forces involved had such interesting uniforms regardless of who`s side they were on, the other thing is that this set are a relatively easy conversion.

Thank you for your positive comments and support, to both Alan and Paint Dog. I can see how one would think a quickie conversion with HaT's British Camel Corp set would do, but not really. Action wise, the set is very static. Three hot and sleepy camel riders and one kneeling shooting pose. One action pose does not create an action set for me, so:

1. Because the fine looking British soldiers fought in the Lawrence era of the Arab Revolt "dismounted", Strelets could make this one add-on set that would perfectly fill this most important gap with one action set, 8 poses, no camels necessary, with the one-sprew Mini Set.

2. The HaT camels are beautiful and rider conversions for "on the march" would be fine. The set even has a kneeling camel (Khartoum movie style) so any dismounted poses Strelets made could be used with it, if one wishes.

3. Torso and leg swops between dismounted and the mounted figures would provide all the pose conversion possibilities a war gamer or even fantasy collector would need. It's a monumental pain in the saddle-buns to swop separately heads, torsos and legs, so Strelets Dismounted ICC with a single cut below the waist ammo-belt and swopped onto riders legs would make nice, quick complete conversions.

4. A set of British Dismounted ICC would be a rare opportunity to showcase one of the most beautiful, simple, Colonial uniforms still in use just as modernization made them obsolete.

5. No matter what, I think the British Colonial era uniforms were some of best looking ever, combining good looks with newer more camo style as wars changed. The Boer War caused British Officers to remove their cool looking helmet flashes and pistol holsters lest the Boers would make them targets. There can never be enough British Colonial "action sets". We already have plenty marching or non-action sets, I feel.

I still hope strelets makes this dismounted set in their nice light tan color so they could be used to make one of the most unique, under-represented British Armies as is and as conversions before the Arab Revolt opportunity is lost for soft plastic.

Alan, and I too would love to see more Arab Revolt Arab regulars on foot and mounted, too, and Turks and ... There are still many, many great looking sets to be made. That's the best part of the Arab Revolt - endless, endless possibilities. I just don't want the unique British ICC to be lost in the WWI thing. They were different than the other British WWI and Sudan armies.

Cheers gentlemen

The conversions I had in mind were the two WW1 Australian sets from Hat with head swaps.

Those are good looking sets, but for me, still wrong leggings, hats and not the Wolseley Pith Helmet, different colors, sculptors ...

Honestly and most importantly, (1) I'd like to be able to buy a set of perfectly sculpted British Colonial Dismounted ICC from head to toe in Light Tan color and take them out box and be able to use them as they actually fought - dismounted destroying railroad stations and charging Turkish defensive positions - with all action poses designed expressly for the Arab Revolt, then secondary, (2) I've got lots of great looking British Camels already saddled-up, so several extra sets of Strelets ICC for Head Swops for camel riders and bingo - all done! The British Army properly represented for the Lawrence era and influence of the Arab Revolt.

For me, we can never have enough properly dedicated British Colonial soldier sets, and also nobody has or likely will ever make these in soft plastic if we miss this opportunity with Strelets.

Thank you, Alan, for helping keep this ICC discussion alive at least a little longer! In the end, I'm hopeful for "lots more" Lawrence of Arabia sets. I agree with your suggestion of another set of Arab Camel Riders also. So please feel free to suggest them again in the thread if you like. And Paint Dog, et als, what other sets for Lawrence & the Arab Revolt? No matter what sets are made, we all win.

Hank, you'll have to stop this discussion now!
You're starting me thinking about the period & we all know where that can lead (me buying lots of boxes & beginning a new period: that's where)

You know, Paint Dog, when it comes to the British Colonial Armies, both foot and mounted, and no matter what colors they are made in, the fact is they are just so "versatile!" North and South Africa, India, Afghanistan, Boxer Rebellion, Khartoum, boarding those old steamers (Four Feathers and Rogues March), Zulu Wars ... and they all look different and have really cool accoutrements and uniforms.

And further, the Arab armies have only been touched on - Airfix Bedouins and Esci Muslim Warriors and I do like the Red Box Afghans. But ... now Strelets' Lawrence of Arabia. Yes!

Strelets is giving us the opportunity to have something no one else has done before in soft plastic - you know, British Imperial Camel Corps Dismounted in Wolseley Helmets and puttees, Arab Warriors in full battle regalia with weapons of jewelry store quality and beauty.

And I hope new Turk Infantry and Artillery, at the very least. New sets with Strelets' todays quality and specifically dedicated for the Arab Revolt.

I've even got some Bi-planes and now I have a purpose to build them and even paint them up - Just a few.

You know, I can think of very few better ways to spend my money. Every dollar/pound/euro I spend on a new box of Lawrence of Arabia Cavalry, will give me countless hours and years of quiet pleasure, historical reflection and only appreciate in value the older I get. Most everything else loses it's luster and utility over time, but not toy soldiers. Call me a nutter, but I'm still going to fill my pockets with them! We can't lose with this Lawrence of Arabia Range.

GarrisonClay
You know, Paint Dog, when it comes to the British Colonial Armies, both foot and mounted, and no matter what colors they are made in, the fact is they are just so "versatile!" North and South Africa, India, Afghanistan, Boxer Rebellion, Khartoum, boarding those old steamers (Four Feathers and Rogues March), Zulu Wars ... and they all look different and have really cool accoutrements and uniforms.

And further, the Arab armies have only been touched on - Airfix Bedouins and Esci Muslim Warriors and I do like the Red Box Afghans. But ... now Strelets' Lawrence of Arabia. Yes!

Strelets is giving us the opportunity to have something no one else has done before in soft plastic - you know, British Imperial Camel Corps Dismounted in Wolseley Helmets and puttees, Arab Warriors in full battle regalia with weapons of jewelry store quality and beauty.

And I hope new Turk Infantry and Artillery, at the very least. New sets with Strelets' todays quality and specifically dedicated for the Arab Revolt.

I've even got some Bi-planes and now I have a purpose to build them and even paint them up - Just a few.

You know, I can think of very few better ways to spend my money. Every dollar/pound/euro I spend on a new box of Lawrence of Arabia Cavalry, will give me countless hours and years of quiet pleasure, historical reflection and only appreciate in value the older I get. Most everything else loses it's luster and utility over time, but not toy soldiers. Call me a nutter, but I'm still going to fill my pockets with them! We can't lose with this Lawrence of Arabia Range.

Hank,

Strelets should give you a discount.

You've sold me.