Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lawrence of Arabia

...because it`s one of those rare occasions when the right colour plastic works for everyone, priming/undercoating terracotta to take a light grey or white base coat will require several coats of paint and may hide detail, white plastic would work for the guys who do not paint too.

Re: Lawrence of Arabia

Alan Buckingham
...because it`s one of those rare occasions when the right colour plastic works for everyone, priming/undercoating terracotta to take a light grey or white base coat will require several coats of paint and may hide detail, white plastic would work for the guys who do not paint too.

First, Thank you very much Strelets for going forward with such a great set, especially given all the things going on in your lives. These are really handsome figurines and so many of us Collectors will be fighting over these sets when they come out!

Second, as much as I love Terracotta and these figures are fine with me, maybe you could consider making the Lawrence of Arabia (Infantry) Foot set in the Light Tan Color you used for the WWII M103 Union of South Africa Infantry Set (Link below for your convenience). I bought many of M103 for my North Africa Campaign Collection and heres what I think:

I have a desk lamp with magnifying glass and when I looked at this set under magnification, this Light Tan Color really brought out all of the fine details. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Pith Helmet's little riveted air vents even. Wow!

Like Alan Buckingham, I too would love to see more Arabs in White Color, but my thinking is you may already have paid for the Light Tan Color Mix and I'll bet all Toy Soldier Collectors who do not paint and do paint would like to have the next issue of your Arabs, Infantry and Cavalry in this color.

Again, I can't wait to buy these. Please tell the Strelets-R Team "Job Well Done!"

Link (the digital picture is dark, but the actual figurines are very light and show details quite excellently):

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=256&M=S

This day in history

Today 100 years ago Arab rebels overrun turkish garrison in Mecca.

Re: This day in history

Strelets
Today 100 years ago Arab rebels overrun turkish garrison in Mecca.

Wow! I just bought the Lawrence of Arabia DVD so watching it this weekend will give it even more meaning.

As a child, it was a dream come true to go see the 1966 "Beau Geste" movie in the old single wide-screen theatre with a balcony (the 50-Cent Matinee, $1 with buttered popcorn and soda) and then walk down the street to the Trains, Trains, Trains Hobby Shop and buy the Fort Sahara Playset and be able to relive the Fort Zinderneuf battle over and over.

And now I'll get to do it with "Lawrence of Arabia." I can't believe that exactly 50 years later I'm still living the dream because of the Strelets Team!

Strelets thank you bringing our attention to this little known action.
Perhaps now is a good moment to ask when we might see the Lawrence of Arabia set released so that we can recreate this and other battles ! And if we might see more sets for this theater such as Arabs on foot please !

Dear DuncanH,

1. AGW in July,
2. possibly.

Please be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Well Strelets, I am confident about sales of this set, I will be buying two as a minimum , I will hope the foot figures follow on the back of good sales. But please do not forget Camel mounted figures, they potentially offer the most exciting painting opportunities.

There are plenty of camel riders already even without our interference.

Not any specific to the Arab revolt of WW1 , and we all think it`s about time the Airfix set got upgraded by someone, and with the Lawrence set you have done...you are in the chair . Your on to a winner here run with it

Strelets
There are plenty of camel riders already even without our interference.

Dear Strelets,

I'd like to recommend a good set of WWI British to go with their Arab Allies. There is an Osprey book (link at bottom of page) with some really great looking British Infantry on the cover (and they don't look like boy scouts in short pants). These guys wear puttees over the baggy trousers and bandoliers and the really cool pith Wolseley Helmet. Your amazingly beautiful Union of South Africa set is already hard to find from my favorite sellers here in the U.S. I would love to see this same sculptor make the WWI British in the same color and style as the WWII set.

I'd bet any WWI Hobbiests would love to have these British Troops for their desert battles. If they weren't fans before, they would be when you make them to go with Lawrence of Arabia.

Here is a link to the new Osprey Book. Please click on the ("See all 2 images") little thumbnail to enlarge image of the book cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Arab-Revolt-1916-18-Lawrence-Campaign/dp/184603339X

To Strelets

Do you think there is any chance you may make a set of British in Pith Helmets for Lawrence of Arabia? It would be nice to have the quality set like yours are specifically made for WWI as on the book cover above.

Thank you for your consideration

Re: To Strelets

Dear GarrisonClay,

are they any different to these ones?
http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=37&M=M

Best regards,

Strelets

Strelets
Dear GarrisonClay,

Best regards,

Strelets

Dear Strelets,

Yes, your set is very different than the Osprey cover.

Your set here is for the Boer War 1898-1902 in South Africa. The set I'm hoping for is for the Arab Revolt of 1916-1918 (during WWI).

Your Boer War British wear the "Foreign Service Pith Helmet" or "Sun Helmet" which was very tall with a low front and long sloping down back. The movie Zulu has this classic look. It basically went out with the Boer War.

The Arab Revolt British Infantry are wearing the "Wolseley Sun Helmet" also called "Wolseley Topi." It was rounder and sat lower on top and the front crown and back neck protection were longer and sat basically horizontally (not sloped down). Both were with a puggaree wrapped around it intended to unravel down and protect the soldier from dust and bugs (This helmet replaced the helmet above.

Your Boer War Infantry are wearing a leather set of braces (suspenders) with two leather ammo pouches suspended on front.

The Arab Revolt British Infantry are wearing leather bandoliers over one shoulder and across the chest.

Yours wear straight leg trousers with puttees wrapped around the legs, and the Arab Revolt Infantry appear to be wearing baggy riding trousers also with puttees.

About the only thing in common is they both wear a nice, similar Tunic.

The British soldiers I'm requesting are very handsome looking and don't look like other WWI infantry sets. So your set would be unique.

Note: I don't own the Osprey book but I just ordered it from Amazon Prime so should have it in 2 or 3 days.

Strelets
Dear GarrisonClay,

Best regards,

Strelets

Dear Strelets,

When I took a second look at your Boer War British on PSR, I can see why you ask the question, because the Box Art for your set looks very similar to the Osprey cover, but the Box Art is in fact not correct for the contents of the box. Unfortunately there are many cases for most companies where the Box Art and the contents are very different, and can be disappointing for Collectors.

Rest assured, you do not have anything like the Osprey cover.

Thank you, again!

Dear Strelets,

I received my Amazon Osprey book and the history of the British Soldiers on the cover is very interesting. Please be patient and give me some time to put together (hopefully) a digital package to send you.

In the mean time, know I'm on it, and you guys please have a great weekend!

GC

Re: Lawrence of Arabia: Concerning Color...

I think maybe terracotta because your chances of finding Airfix's original Arabs in white; Not very good! Your chances of finding Hat's re-issue in rust; Much better! Just a thought.

Re: Lawrence of Arabia: Concerning Color...

Bert
I think maybe terracotta because your chances of finding Airfix's original Arabs in white; Not very good! Your chances of finding Hat's re-issue in rust; Much better! Just a thought.

Bert, FYI - The Airfix/HaT Arabs/Bedouins were last reissued in a very nice Medium Tan color. I bought mine w/o boxes so I can't describe what design to look for. Check with your favorite sellers.

So far, I've found them (over my lifetime) in White, Pale Yellow, Greenish-Tan, Rust, Medium Tan. The Rust and Medium Tan are reissues and I was able to get an ample number at a reasonable price.

I like the idea best in White, Terracotta and Light Tan for Strelets Arabs. In reality, the Arabs are a colorful group of fighters, so I keep all colors to give them flare on the battle field.