Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
problems with assembling horsemen figures

hello everybody

i've bought many 1/72 sets in order to create a great army
: )

i am newbie in model-making and i've encountered many problems.

currently the main issue i have is assembling horsemen.

i've tried to assemble one nice set
(Strelets 9872 - Germanic Horseman)
but figures and horses do not fit well.

so far i tried to deform horsemen using lighter flame but it was not so good idea

because that was too aggressive (too hot)

do you have idea what should i do
?

i was thinking to try with hot water maybe, but i do not know if water is hot enough

to deform the figures..

here are some pics:

thank you for your interest

Re: problems with assembling horsemen figures

V,

Fitting horsemen is one of the great struggles of this hobby. Producers struggle to tool their molds so that figures will sit properly, and, we must struggle to fix where they fall short.

It takes a subtle hand to apply heat with a cigarette lighter. However, you've got a very good idea about boiling water. The best technique is to boil the water, microwaves are very good for this, and then soak the figures away from the fire. The hot water will soften the plastic enough.

I'm afraid that your pictures do not display. So I can't offer any more advice.

Good luck!

Mister Mannix
V,

I'm afraid that your pictures do not display. So I can't offer any more advice.

Good luck!

Mister Mannix,
If you click on the boxes they do display, at least on my computer they do.

Paul K.

Hot water/cold water shock treatment will do the trick.

Yup, hot water always worked for me with some spectacular results!

hello everybody,

thank you very-very much for your replies and interest.

i've managed to pick [somewhat] optimal horse/horseman pairs but i'll try with hot water as well (up to now i did not take any action because of my work/lack of time)

idea of using pin to make better bond is super, but i am not sure how should i do that well. what material to use for pin, and how to drill holes in horse and horseman?

i would like to see images if possible of how this look like. i am sorry if i behave

like a spoiled child - i am sure that some other users could find that images helpful as well.

idea of coating the gap (after gluing) between horse and horseman using white glue is interesting as well, although i am not sure of how one can paint over a large amount of white glue afterwards.

thank you yet again
i shall make another post about painting - because that part of the job is great mystery for me as well
:)

hello everybody - thank you very much

i've successfully pinned the first cavalry of mine

i used metal -iron- pins from common nails like this:

i've read this - on other forum (Bill Guiroff):

>>>>>
Interesting. This has the advantage that everything's plastic, and as the figure ages it should be less likely to split like it sometimes does around metal pins(voice of experience here, folks!).
>>>>>

and i just wander - how can this happen, there is no water around figures so i do presume that corrosion process is very slow, unless super-glue and/or primer for gluing polypropylene are guilty for that corrosion..