Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spartacus Before Battle masters

I am not very sure about these figures. They look badly proportioned and the heads look too small for some of the figures. Did someone stretch the height axis of the images before posting?

Strelets have produced some really lovely figures recently and these seem a bit of a step backwards.

Re: Spartacus Before Battle masters

Would agree they look rather oddly proportioned and a bit flat to say the least... definatly a step back...

Re: Spartacus Before Battle masters & Roman Camp

I agree with you entirely. Not sure what the sculptor was thinking, unless indeed the pictures have been "stretched" in an awkward way.

Conversely the Roman Camp figures are just brilliant! Even though it's not a period I collect or follow, I may well get the figures because they are just so lively.

Never really been a fan of these 'before battle' sets as I usually just find a few poses I like! The one guy in the top row does have a ridiculously small head! & no matter how many times I look at him, the guy with the swords over head looks like "The Creature From The Black Lagoon!"

Dear Strelets
Sorry-but those new masters are not that-what we expected from you.The sculptor
of the new Norman camp-figures made a much better work-than this.Please make the masters new.
best regards
Richard Jung

Definitely, the next set will be better. It will be called "Crassus's army taking a leak before battle"...and it will be so much better because the sculptor decided to relieve himself before starting to sculpt the figures...

The trouble is if the figures are not going to be reduced in size then wysiwyg. They look as if the have been sculpted in "one go" which makes the task more difficult. Some sculptors work well in this scale like Alex, Massimo and the sculptor of the Red Box WWII sets and have proved you can work with a 1:1 ratio with the masters and produce superb figures. I am afraid if they don't measure up to the best then try again. In fairness other manufacturers have had some bloopers or stinkers and probably more that never made it to the photo stage or into the public arena.

and by way of contrast

The Norman Camp esp the camping jolly threesome hits the mark. A laughing head in 3 mm-fantastic and the hand goes round the goblet not just five marks in the modelling material.

David

David O'Brien
the camping jolly threesome

I'm sorry but looking at that trio this immediately comes to mind (I'm sure others already know what to expect before they even click on the link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ghXxXyAuw

About a month ago I was giving Strelets credit for their improvement in sculpting etc... and now this... ouch!!! Big step backwards! I realy hope this was a one time cooperation.

Sorry Strelets, I would express my reaction to this figures politer if I only could.

Seems to me that the sculptor was trying to capture the inherent variability in such a set; a Thracian, a Numidian, a Greek, and so on.

Trouble is, they have missed the mark, especially compared to the quality of your other offerings—as others have said.

More power to the sculptor for version two!

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18827
nothing nore to say

Re: Spartacus Before Battle masters—take a closer look gents!

Gents,

I suggest that you take a second look at these figures as I have. Zoom your computer screen or mobile device snd examine the detail and variety of these poses. The quality of sculpting of the armour and weapons, the variety and character of the faces and facial and head hair. These are classic Strelets! A few of the weapons are large, but that is classic Strelets too.

They are going to paint up beautifully and are definitely on my list.

i look forward to Set M077!

Jams

Jolly keypad on the iPad, should have waited to do this on a computer keyboard!

James

I think considering the number of Roman soldiers they slaughtered and the potential amount of booty captured, equipment should be predominantly roman military, Gladiator gear is very specific(the weapon arm, the head so a combat can continue even with a badly injured player) and intended for its recognition and entertainment value rather then the battlefield...

I would have thought that Spartacus's men would have dumped it the moment they left the slave compound... as a matter of course...