Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WWII Navy (More Examples)

Here are 2 One-Sixth examples, just scroll down a little: (1) in Navy Whites, (2) in Chambray Light Blue Shirt and Blues:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/759971-m-h-o-y-f-update22-sculpts-little-round-top-dio-2.html

Re: WWII US Navy set

I wonder what the odds are for shooting down a plane with a rifle.

The machine gun would be an M2 more than likely with the heavy (making 121 lbs total) water filled jacket on a special AA mounting. The water cooled version had a much higher rate of fire and looked a lot bigger than a standard M2(50 cal). I get the feeling that the 50 cal AA ammo containers were the same as on a Maxson mount. I don't think anybody makes this version of the M2 in plastic so it may be a first.

I would have preferred 2 of the riflemen as stretcher bearers.

The work uniform clad ones will be more useful to me. If the figure either with the M2 or carrying the ammo is Dorie Miller he was depicted in Tora,Tora, Tora in a mess attendants uniform and Pearl Harbour (Cuba Gooding Jr)in a t shirt. I am not sure which is best or the most acurate but he was serving in the mess when the raid happened. It is difficult to tell from the photos but if the figure is supposed to be a generic African American rather than Dorie Miller then very few African Americans* were assigned combat roles (ie regular rated seamen) in the US Navy at this time.

David

*Wiki states 6 out of 4,007 African Americans out of a total of 170,000 naval personnel were regular rated seaman.

I figured Dorie Miller a giant (well, 191 cm tall) but this fellow rather reminds me of the weedy Atlantic figures' stature. This is, however, a very original set and like RCD I can see many uses for them from 1900 on (hope the sailor dress is correct for the Boxer uprising?). Regards, Pa

The helmets don't work for the Boxer Rebellion, they came in around 1917. The BAR about 1918 and the Thompson was purchased by the Navy in the 1920's.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Hello Mike, sorry for being vague, I was referring to the rifleman with hats only. Regards, Pa

http://www.ushistory.org/us/44f.asp

The basic US Navy uniform should be okay for the Boxer Rebellion, but the USMC and US Army provided most of the US forces for the Boxer Rebellion.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Thanks again Mike.

The masters look great! I vote for light blue colour. I congratulate Strelets on making such an unusual (and totally cool) set!

Re: WWII Navy (Sand Pebbles Examples)

I have wanted to wargame the sand Pebbles ever since I saw the film in the 1960s. Wonderful release Strelets and thank you GarrisonClay!

Re: WWII Navy (Sand Pebbles Examples)

Exscolari
I have wanted to wargame the sand Pebbles ever since I saw the film in the 1960s. Wonderful release Strelets and thank you GarrisonClay!

Dear Exscolari,

Cheers! I too saw the film in the 60's and what a Classic. Hopefully S*R will give us more U.S. Navy Landing Party type Sailors in fighting kit. They really are quite useful for so many wars. I liked both the One-Sixth Sailors in both their white and blue uniforms with hat and helmet. This first set is very nice and still so much more could be done.

Re: WWII Navy

Nice American seamen which have alot of potential.We could also do with some WW2 Royal Navy as well. As an extra special figure you could have one pose being a crew man with a cutlass!

One of the more interesting stories was the boarding of the German Altmark which was skulking in neutral Norwegian water. Aboard was 250 British merchant navy seamen being held in terrible conditions which the Norwegian navy failed to notice!Under international law they should have been released on entering neutral waters. The destroyer Cossack was sent in and boarded the Altmark to liberated the captive merchantmen. It was the last time that cutlasses were used by the RN. Certainly, I would not argue with someone waving a cutlass at me!

US Navy sailors are great. I will buy many of them. Blue is my first choice, but making them in both Blue and White would cause me to buy twice as many. Crew on a Panay Class gunboat is about 65. An early war battleship has a crew of about 2,000. Looks like I am going to need a lot of these guys.

Thanks guys for thinking about me.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

after some decades here come the first set of US navy sailors in plastic, I'm very happy, those sailors with the dixie cup on their head are useful and can be easily converted to serve aboard any US navy warship for the whole period of the war.

I can only hope that this set will be followed by more sailors !