Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: praetorian ceremonial march

...and bigger shields, please: "The scutum was a 10-kilogram (22 lb) large rectangle curved shield made from three sheets of wood glued together and covered with canvas and leather, usually with a spindle shaped boss along the vertical length of the shield. The best surviving example, from Dura-Europos in Syria, was 105.5 centimetres (41.5 in) high, 41 centimetres (16 in) across, and 30 centimetres (12 in) deep (due to its semicylindrical nature), with an unknown thickness. It was well made and extremely sturdy."

There are quite a few shields or parts of shields from Dura and the info is available in:

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/the-excavations-at-dura-europos-conducted-by-yale-university-and-the-french-academy-of-inscriptions-and-letters-1928-to-1937-final-report-vii.html

the thickness is around 1cm or less depending on shield, the scutums are three ply built up from narrow strips and each one is about 2mm thick... 10Lbs would be a more reasonable estimate as they are made from plane wood a light but strong wood largely introduced into Europe by the Romans and probably intended for that purpose...

Dear Strelts,
The shield is only one question-the other question is:why not make the Praetorians in her ceremonial costume with the attic helmet ?
best regards
Richard Jung

Now I can see them they look very nice(earlier the site was down) I would say the shield size was OK, though I would prefer shields with no embossed design... its best done with a decal or printed paper design that way you can have different designs as appropriate.
The Helmets have a very deep neck guard, I do believe this is a later form though I'm sure most wouldn't notice it, at the back of the neck it should be shorter and not so heavily stepped with a deeper broader neckguard... but I would be happy with them never the less....

For me these represent legionaires at their best to impress the enemy just before battle, as has been said they could be wearing Attic style helmets for ceremonial purposes, here I refer to the frieze from the arch of Cladius however they dont wear lorica Segmenta but breast plates and of course the shields are oval (which in the frieze are positioned to high).....

Praetorians

There are other images from other times such as the slightly later Flavian Cancelleria Relief, presumably these are praetorians as they accompany the Emperor Vespasian who is of the pic to the left:

Praetorians

Question To Strelets Re: Pretorians

Dear Strelets,

Would it be appropriate to ask if you are going to make a Foot Pretorians in Battle to go with the Mounted Pretorians, Pretorian Cohort and Pretorian Ranks?

The new Ceremonial March look great. In my case, I'll be buying extra sets just for the shields to do some conversions with the nice designs on them.

Thank you

Maybe I should make myself clearer, these guys look like "Standard" Legionaires with nothing specific to show them as Praetorians, though its very likely the way they would have appeared in battle.... However I would expect to see more variation eg different armour, mail or possibly scale... they would be able to afford it...the pose though is good...
So these would be my preference for games figures or simply for marching Legionaires...

I think you need to be more Specific!

Dear Strelets,
Your new masters are wonderful-Pretorian-Ranks-very usefull for a Triumph-scenario.I hope we will see them in the big set (Triumph )again.
best regards
Richard

Wow, another nice surprise!

I'm learning about Roman eras and uniform and weapons details as you go. That's half the fun of this hobby for me. Others have mentioned different details. The Attic Helmet being one of them. I can now see what they were talking about. I looked them up and found many variations, and I find your Masters have that Classic Roman look for me.

Question To Strelets Re: Pretorians (And New Pretorians Ranks Masters)

(Sorry, computer went into automated restart mode on me during a phone call, so I'll just paste the whole thing again...)

Wow, another nice surprise!

I'm learning about Roman eras and uniforms and weapons details as you go. That's half the fun of this hobby for me. Others have brought up different details such as the Attic Helmet. I can now see what they were talking about. I did look them up and found so many variations, yet I find your Masters to have that really Classic Roman look for me.

And the Scutum also has another nice Strelets touch. I'm not a painter so I do really appreciate all the details already on the Scutum plus the different shapes. I will be buying lots of these Pretorians sets for doing conversions to some of the many earlier sets I already have that display no details and are just flat. With the peg hole on these new sets, it will make it a breeze to just plug them on/over the flat Scutums.

OK, so I'll express my wish again that I very much hope you make a set of "Fighting Foot Pretorians" to go with this awesome Range.

Keep up the great work and many thanks!

Dear GarrisonClay,

we don't have such plans at the moment.
Best regards,

Strelets

Praetorian Ranks

Dear Strelets, re Praetorians Ranks: Very nice your best yet

Well Done, Nuff said I think

Strelets
Dear GarrisonClay,

we don't have such plans at the moment.
Best regards,

Strelets

Dear Strelets,

Many thanks for the reply. I hope you don't close the door for a possible future set of Fighting Foot Pretorians. Your Pretorians Ranks Set (masters) is one of best ever looking Roman soldiers set with the classic Attic helmet and fine details. Kind of reminds me of the old Comic Book Ad at the back of the magazines. I'd love to see a set of these warriors advancing behind their scutums and thrusting their gladius' at the enemy!

OK, I look forward to the release of your current line as 2016 is looking to be a very exciting year!

Best regards to You & The Strelets Team

Dear Strelets,
I hope that your masters for Pretorians will be transformed 1:1 in figures and not so like the the New Zeelands: masters ok,figures disappointing thin.
best regards
Richard Jung