Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early American Soldiers

These figures look great, and have been needed for a long time. I can already envision them on my table fighting off the new Japanese airborne troops (though I'm not sure this ever actually happened!)

Colin it didn`t but Japanese Para`s did fight American forces on the Philippines in 1944, although the Japanese did not parachute in to action.

Thanks Alan. The Japanese paras will indeed be interesting and will be something different to the usual sets of regular army infantry. The Soviet Union also had paratroopers, though their jumps were extremely limited and they operated mostly as elite infantry. Zvezda does a small set of these, I wonder if they will have their own full set someday.
In any event, the early war American troops are great and I look forward to getting some. Their sacrifices will be avenged by their brothers from Italeri, Revell, Caesar and Waterloo 1815.

Out of interest what rifle are they carrying, doesn't look like a Springfield to me, more like a Lee Enfield but without a magazine?

Those may be M1 Garands

I recall reading that the US Army had those in the Philippines 1941-1942. The Marines and Philippine troops still had the 1903 Springfield. But maybe I am remembering it wrong. I know it was all 1903s at Wake and Pearl.

Re: Those may be M1 Garands

Just did a bit of research, and the US army was indeed fully armed with M1`s by the end of 1941, the Marines were still using Springfield`s, so they could indeed be M1`s.

Fellows,

The rifles modeled in this set are certainly not M1903 Springfields. They look more like M1 Garands, but, the straps are attached at the wrong points on stock. Note the attached illustrations.

But, the models don't have the characteristic triangular shape of the M1. Perhaps they will look more accurate on the finished figures.

Yes, I also believe I read the Marines kept the Springfields until the start of the war. They trusted them better than a semi-auto like the Garand!

From time to time, a figure set is released which enables us to recreate entire campaigns. This is such a set, and a very welcome one.

I like the sculpting, it is another example of Strelets' recent improvement. If anything the uniforms are too nice, given these troops performed a long retreat through difficult terrain. I would suspect the percentage of automatic weapons is exaggerated too.

As Mister Mannix said, the set should not be marred with errors. I do not claim expertise but would like to ask those who know more about these troops to have a look at the rifle type, the sword bayonets, the Y straps and the knife the officer has on his belt - are these authentic?

It's not that I am trying to find a fly in the ointment, I just want this set to be a successful one for Strelets, so there's hope any kinks can be ironed out before production.

US Army troops in the PI used the M1, but the M1 never fully replaced the Springfield rifle. The Springfield was used in every theater from beginning to end of the war by the US Army. The Springfield was used by snipers, because it was slightly more accurate at longer ranges, and it was better for use with the grenade launcher. The M1 production did not allow full replacement of the Springfield so service and support troops often got Springfield rifles in the US Army.

There were about ten US Army soldiers on Wake Island doing electronic warfare or directional navigation equipment work for B17's, depending on the source. I think but don't know they all made it off the island before it fell.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

I was kind of expecting Revolutionary War or Jamestown militia. Shouldn't they have just called the set Early WW2 American Soldiers? There are plenty of American soldiers earlier than those guys. Great set, though.

I love this set. It's listed as "Set 2," so there will be a Set 1? I plan on adding these to my existing metal forces for the Philippines campaign. I have a horde of Japanese and a small force of Americans to re-fight a scenario based on the 1943 film "Bataan." These figures will be a big boost to my Americans.

It would be great for Strelets to produce Philippines Army figures someday.

Now if someone would produce a die-cast of the correct model of M-3 light tanks to pit against Dragon's Type 95s. Also Type 89 tanks would be useful.

Roger Van Dusen
I love this set. It's listed as "Set 2," so there will be a Set 1? I plan on adding these to my existing metal forces for the Philippines campaign. I have a horde of Japanese and a small force of Americans to re-fight a scenario based on the 1943 film "Bataan." These figures will be a big boost to my Americans.

It would be great for Strelets to produce Philippines Army figures someday.

Now if someone would produce a die-cast of the correct model of M-3 light tanks to pit against Dragon's Type 95s. Also Type 89 tanks would be useful.

... and the American tyred version of the Scneider 155mm due from Ace at some stage.

As for Philippines Army figures why not!