Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3D-printing and the hobby

I'm not an expert, but I have some questions and comments about 3D-printing:

I think this technique will be soon cheaper and easy available.

Shorter time for production of sets (from sketches and modelling to final product)?

Easier to cover more - even exotic - topics and era's?

No mold's lost.

Will this be the future?

Re: 3D-printing and the hobby

Why ask the same questions here and on the HaT forum? It's obvious, readers and posters here and there are quite the same. You hope to get different answers? Good luck...

Well, i never enter the Hat forum, i prefer honestly this one...

Every one has the right to write whatever he wants respectfully

Answering to The question, i guess the future will also go this way... Actually producer zvezda for instance started to develope all the multipart figures from mini "art of War" sets with 3d technology.. Did you see them¿ no masters, just 3d sketches...

Hi Martin,
You might be interested in this KickStarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer?ref=HappeningNewsletterApr0315

I don't think you can print 1/72nd scale miniatures with it but I think one
could print structures such as houses, bridges, bases for your miniatures etc..
It looks like it's very affordable!

Paul K.

martin_hy
I'm not an expert, but I have some questions and comments about 3D-printing:

I think this technique will be soon cheaper and easy available.

Shorter time for production of sets (from sketches and modelling to final product)?

Easier to cover more - even exotic - topics and era's?

No mold's lost.

Will this be the future?
Lots of companies are already using 3D printing, including our hosts, Strelets.

Making the masters doesn't take any more or less time than traditional methods, but there is no time taken to make molds from those masters, and there is no quality loss.

Will it be the future? IMHO, yes and no. Just as there is a rift between older gamers (Nappies and WW2 Germans) and younger gamers (Orcs and Space Marines), I believe older guys will not adopt or accept the new technology, whereas younger guys will.

I wish that Strelets would make their Arms range available as 3D printed models. 3D models are crisp and not warped. They would fit together precisely, or they could be printed in one piece. I have tried to assemble the new Putilov-Austin and I'm sorry to say, it is a horrible, horrible kit. Although the master was done on a 3D printer, the molding process has introduced seam lines, flash, and loads of warping, with the result that the model is almost unmakeable. Some people might enjoy that challenge, but I was very, very disappointed. If it was available as a 3D printable model (and all the other Arms range models), we could have a top quality model from Strelets.

Printing is funny term to use as it isn't strictly printing. The technique has been around for a while (easily 20 years) but it used to be very costly and you are left with a solid model of course. Then again a sprue is a "solid model" so as long as the goal isn't to produce a finished model which has an inside as well as an outside then it must boil down to relative costs.
Actually a lot of computer generated model designs now produce the sprue (male form) design digitally. With this in mind the digital design can be transferred to a metal or resin injection moulding tool (imt) to produce the intaglio(female form) for multiple manufacture of injection moulded kits or figures. The process would thereafter be similar to what happened in Airfix's old factory in the 50s using polystyrene or polyethylene granules liquefied with heat and pressure and forced into a two part "mould".

The other approach is to forget about the imt or injection moulding and produce the sprue or model using a computer controlled device that hardens or subtracts zones of a material (eg uv curing photopolymers) or accurately sprays or deposits a material in 3d space(additive manufacture) or molten polymer deposition as it is known. SHS- selective heat sintering is likely to be the best bet for the hobby as the finished product would be a familiar plastic rather than a resin or a metal. It would basically build up a model in tiny slices and to contradict myself you can could get an inside and outside of sorts. How would modellers feel about a cubic sprue? I can only guess the sprues would look different as you don't have to contend with flow and pressure with SHS. I am not sure of the financial aspects for the continued preference for traditional injection moulding but as mentioned earlier cost is a huge factor. The more companies that use 3D printing then the prices will come down and in the blink of eye it becomes mainstream.
To directly answer Martin
Soon- could be several months or a decade
cheaper - as above
accessible - things that catch on soon become accessible
Shorter times from initial idea to sale of product- At the moment it seems to take as long to produce a sprue of plastic figures from concept to box on the shelf as it does a blockbuster film or game. That is also one of the nettle leaves to be grasped.
Obviously our niche of niche hobbies will follow whatever happens but I can see 3D printing satisfying some of the imperatives that made the internet what it is today. Then it could be days we have to wait rather than my months.

David