Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alternate uses for Bashi Bazouks

Now that I have researched how I will paint them I'm not sure how to deploy them. Two of them , in fur bonnets could pass for Pathans, which is why I bought the set.I guess the others might be used as Mameluks? I had hoped to use the entire set for Northwest Frontier cavalry, but that might not be realistic. Please provide suggestions; mercenaries could , ideally be almost anywhere.

Re: Alternate uses for Bashi Bazouks

I have considered using them as north african tribesmen

The ones with fur hats are more than likely to be Circassians. They look a bit like Cossacks. Most of the figures, as they are mounted, could pass for Pashtuns or Afghans but a few figures would need some hint of the longer kameez(shirt coat) in the side view and back and the fez parts of some of the turban/hats need lopping off. Apart from the Circassians in this Strelets set the rest look very similar to the Wargames Foundry Mounted Indian Hill tribesmen. The box blurb mentions Albanian costume and the figures on the box artwork on the front right look as if they are depicted with it ( and the Albanian moustache)but only a couple of the actual figures have the waistcoat clearly defined or the Zouave type tasselled fez. The characteristic Albanian baggy kilt(Fustanella) doesn't show as much with mounted figures. A bit like the Esci Muslim Warriors set - a bit of everything but good generic figures.

David

Hello
cannot find images of this product..but Bashi Bazouk could be used, probably straight from the box if sportingwith fez, as "Bashi Bazouk" or early Askaris in Italian service of the beginning of Colonial expansion in Eritrea/Ethiopia