Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To Strelets – expensive air in the box (French Sledge Train)

Dear Mr.Pickstock,

You don’t have to buy new sprue in the first place. Send a message with your name and address to strelets@hotmail.co.uk and it will be sent you for free.
Please be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Mille grazzi!

To Mr Strelets

Received gratefully thanks.

Strelets
Dear Mr.Pickstock,

You don’t have to buy new sprue in the first place. Send a message with your name and address to strelets@hotmail.co.uk and it will be sent you for free.
Please be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Great to see hassle free service!

Agreed - and very quick too.

Nope, sorry, don't agree.

I have got the French set 2, and am waiting on delivery of the other 3 sets. To me, these are one-offs, that I plan on using as mini-vignettes amongst my able-top armies. So I think Strelets were sensible to release them in this way, as I doubt they will sell many sets (compared to a standard infantry or cavalry set, that wagamers may buy in droves). For me, they are unique one-offs, and so I am happy to pay that bit extra per figure. Still cheaper than metal figures, so what's teh problem?

Regards

Marc

"The concern is that figure collectors and war-gamers do not like Strelets because the company is what the two men in the shop called "short run producers". Produced. Boxed. Sent out. End of set/production. "If they buy Strelets figures for a gaming campaign and want to add more later on they cannot -unless they pay very high Ebay prices later on. Better if they stick with a company not using limited production."

Well short run isnt a bad thing(there are quite a few producers)it enables production of sets on diverse subjects often not produced by the big model companies for various reasons, and these actually get to see the light of day...

Cant say I've seen particularly high prices for Strelets on Ebays perhaps the odd one, generally though the prices are slightly more to much less for older sets then the average strelets price... usually Strelets is cheaper overall to other similar sets at least where I am.... The very first Strelets set is still available for a couple of euros....

Best thing to do with almost any producer is plan ahead and add a few more boxes on in case you need them... there are many more sets available and stockists tend to carry less of each so pre-order and make sure you get what you need... its all common sense really

And good advice....and I DO have to buy online because my local shop (Antics, sadly) since it lost its only two competitors in Bristol YEARS back, will not stock a good range of figures -they blame company ordering policy!

So, yeah, buy a couple extra sets!

I mentioned earlier that raw material plastic prices should be coming down and also transportation so I am not sure why the sprues are not doubled. I have noticed other hobby items increasing in price way beyond the RPI or inflation and then there will soon be talk about cutting back or winding up because sales are falling. In fairness to Strelets they have printed clearly on the box how many figures/sledges are in each box and this is under the heading "box" in the "products" section on this website. You can see before you buy so it shouldn't be a surprise. I am not sure how many sledges constitute a train though--one is a sledge, two are a pair of sledges, etc.

I sympathise with those in the hobby who don't have the gift of clairvoyance but 1/72nd scale plastic figures are notorious for now you see me now you don't. A lot do come back several times in an average human life span so not to worry. Competitors in 28mm do get the stuff out and in your face so starters are naturally drawn to those rather than seeking 1/72nd scale rarities.

Talking of clairvoyance or predictions I would imagine feasible 3d computer printers should seal the fate of current hobby manufacturers and retailers. 1/72nd is a good scale as the figures are small so it might see a resurgence. Just being optimistic to counter prices increasing, retailers folding, big manufacturers not adding to small scale figures series* or deleting them altogether and so on and of course boxes with a lot of fresh air in them.

David
*my quarterly news letter from an on line/mail order retailer used to have several pages for new 1/72nd scale products(inc aircraft, tanks etc) now it barely makes a side of A4 and usually HaT and Strelets items (the hobby 2015?) occupy a fair chunk of that.

I'm with Ironsides in liking the way Strelets does short/limited production runs....plenty available for everyone if you get in within the first year or so. However I like knowing that in 10-15 years time my Strelets armies (which I have invested a lot of time/money/energy in) will be somewhat unique vs. Airfix still churning out the same old thing 40+ years later.

As for the French sleds, I've just bought two of each set as I've wanted these for a LONG time. I would have bought four of each if there had been a bit more in the packet to support the price. I think Strelets erred here...but I forgive them for this as they have given me a lot of joy with their figures which cover such obscure wars/periods/units.

Regards,
Andrew