Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSR GUY ANNOUNCES UPCOMING STRELETS SETS!

M104 - M107 are my favorites! Time to start accumulating funds.

Dear Arlin,

you were lobbying some of them, weren't you?
Thank you for your contributions to the subject.
Best regards,

Strelets

Yes I was lobbying for them all! Especially the WWII 1941 Americans. Are there going to be only Army/Infantry types in the set or will there be Navy guys in there too?

Dear Arlin,

most likely, the first set will have only infantry.
Best regards,

Strelets

Strelets
Dear Arlin,
most likely, the first set will have only infantry.
Best regards, Strelets

This leaves the possibility for a navy set later on.

Looking forward to the WW2 sets although I do not yet know what to do with Japanese paratroopers and what makes the South Africans stand out from other British / Commonwealth troops!

PDA to cheer you up a bit there is at least three sets (artillery and an armoured car) for us WW1 buffs in the pipeline!

Re: UPCOMING STRELETS SETS! Naval Infantry might be better

Yeah, the Japanese Paras, at least in regards to complementing the 1941 Americans, have a limited role in the Philippines invasion, whereas Japanese Naval Infantry (their equivilant to Marines) could be useful for both Wake Island and the Philippines. They have a distinctive tunic. I would argue they would be a better choice. But hey, in this scale, maybe Strelets wants to do something that isn't similar to stuff already on the market.

I really hope a following set has Navy sailors and Marines/soldiers with heavy machine guns and in poses that would lend itself for actions like Pearl Harbor and Wake Island.

I wonder if the first set of Infantry will be more geared to Philippines with surrendering men or walking men carrying wounded comrades a la Bataan Death March. Should be interesting either way.

Tom, The Ural Cossacks are for the Crimean War Period.

Paul K.

thanks paul,i couldnt find it.
always room for more cossacks.

Dear Paul K,

we confirm your understanding.
This set will finalise our Balaclava series (unless we find evidence of what kind of cannons were used by the Turks on redoubts, in which case we may make an extra set).

Best regards,

Strelets

Dear Strelets,
The new Ancient-sets are brilliant,please do not forgett Imp. Roman Auxiliaries in ranks.
best regards from
Richard

Paul K.

It looks like a little of something for everyone...
No. There's no WW1

Ooops...there's almost a little something for everyone.

Paul K.

This is a great list !
lack of WW1 is a shame but hopefully next time !
in the meantime lots of goodies to look forward to.

Paul K.
Ooops...there's almost a little something for everyone.

Paul K.

PDA
Paul K.

It looks like a little of something for everyone...
No. There's no WW1

Some very interesting sets here. There are no no WW1 ones but we do have some due shortly.The February artillery sets will keep me happy until those French tanks start rolling off the production line (hopefully this year)!

..... and not a sign of any new Third Reich sets. Was so looking forward to the Waffen SS troops in their smart winter uniforms (February 1942 uniform please) eating sausage or smoking cigarettes.

Just need a few Canadian sets to oppose the American invaders and a few Gauls and Britains to oppose those pesky invading Romans!

RCD
...The February artillery sets will keep me happy until those French tanks start rolling off the production line (hopefully this year)...
Yes, the 9.2in and 21cm guns and the Austin Putilov will keep me happy as well. But I'm afraid the Schneider CA and Saint Chamond tanks have joined the Honved. I have a nasty feeling we won't ever see them in the shops. I think Strelets have said as much when they said the fire destroyed or damaged their 3D modelling.

Maybe it's time to clear the decks. The Honved were sculpted a long time ago and do not compare favourably with Strelets current output. Masters are perhaps the least expensive part of the process, so why make expensive moulds from masters that you're not entirely happy with. There are other WWI cavalries that could be done, as a couple of people here have suggested. Or perhaps we could have some regular and irregular arabs for the war in the middle east.

As for the tanks, yes, I would like the French tanks, but I don't think the Medium B was a good choice. Surely a Mark V would be a better choice? And there are plenty of plans and surviving examples to use.

some very nice additions,cant wait for ww2 and revelutionary war sets, still like them all

Wow!!...Japanese airborne troops....i hope they will not be all in combat pose.
Furthermore looking forward for more ww2 Japanese set....Tank crew set wouldn't be bad at all!! (not much choice in the market at the moment).

Jap paras & SA (South Africans)

To answer a question, Japanese airborne saw action against the Dutch. That means we could hope for KNIL ( their Dutch opponents). Regarding the SA, they saw action in North Africa, and would be identified by khaki drill with pith helmets.
Thank you Strelets, for the good news. How about adding some WW I cavalries: early French & Austrian, plus the german mounted Jager. These had specific helmets, not easy to convert. The Strelets WW I cavalries are great.

Re: Jap paras & SA (South Africans)

Am absolutely loving the WW2 items! Thank you Strelets!

No Portuguese Cazadores

O well guess I will wait till 2016 for a box of Napoleonic Cazadores in Stovepipe shako.

Re: No Portuguese Cazadores

Looks like something for everyone, the Roman Senate could be interesting, maybe some back stabbing?

Is there any Senate without back stabbing?

I might actually become interested in Napoleonic era sets for the first time ever! Like the sound of the WWII stuff, especially the South Africans - on that theme, it would be really nice to see some Free French for North Africa, what is on offer at present is not great.

petrovici radu
To answer a question, Japanese airborne saw action against the Dutch. That means we could hope for KNIL ( their Dutch opponents). Regarding the SA, they saw action in North Africa, and would be identified by khaki drill with pith helmets.

Many thanks for the info. Sounds like we could use the SA to defend Malaya and Singapore in 1941! Anyone interested in the paratroopers might find these links of use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_marine_paratroopers_of_World_War_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teishin_Shudan
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&p=1201170

petrovici radu
How about adding some WW I cavalries: early French & Austrian, plus the german mounted Jager.

I'd certainly be interested in 1914/15 Austro-Hungarian cavalry as well. Regards, Pat

Early WWII Americans:

US Army troops get the M1 rifle, the M1917 helmet, the BAR, the Thompson usually with drum magazine, the Lewis Gun, the Colt M1911 pistol.

Philippine troops get the Springfield Rife as do the US Marines. Marines get the other weapons I mentioned, Philippine troops don't get the Thompson.

US Army and Marine troops as well as Philippine troops may also have the Montana Peak Hat (Smokey the Bear hat, Campaign Hat) but in combat would usually wear the flat helmet, M1917.

US Army horse mounted cavalry did fight their last cavalry charge as mounted troops in the Philippines.

US Navy, Naval Infantry Battalion; just like the guys in the movie The Sand Pebbles. They had a variety of small arms, Springfield rifles, BAR, and they wore the naval uniform with both the M1917 helmet and the "sailor cap." They fought in the Philippine Campaign and also in small unit actions in various places.

So early war US military requires five sets:
US Army Infantry
Philippine Scouts Infantry
US Marines
US Army Cavalry, Horse
US Navy, Naval Infantry Battalion

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

These forces saw combat on Wake Island, mostly US Marines, but some US Army too, as well as civilians in a combat role. The Philippine Campaign that was almost six months long, and in Java where US Army troops were sent briefly.

Hi All

One of South Africa's (S.A.)main efforts during the early part of World War II was in Italian East Africa(ie - Abyssinia). This was during 1939 -1940. I hope Strelets is producing these figures as to date nobody has produced them yet. The SHQ figures in metal are wearing the correct sun helmets(the South African "Polo Pattern"-totally different to the British sun helmet") but are depicted in shorts for the desert campaign. In the East African campaign they had a distinct South African "look"about them as they wore the S.A. bush jacket, long trousers, World War I webbing and the distinct S.A. gaiters which where higher than the British army gaiters. They also wore brown boots not the black boots used by the British and other commonwealth countries. Weaponary carried was British Lee Enfield .303(not the number 1 mk 4 - but the earlier weapon), Bren guns, 1907 pattern sword bayonets and the support companies had Vickers medium machine guns and 3" mortars. The infantry had 2" infantry mortars.

In the later part of World War II, after the North African campaign was concluded the 6th South African Armoured Division was deployed to Italy around mid 1944 until the end of the war. They wore mainly British style battle dress made in South Africa so ordinary British infantry can be used for them.The only distinctive South African item was the brown boots as opposed to the black boots used by the British and other commonwelth divisions in Italy.

It should be noted that all South African soldiers, sailors and airmen were volunteers as like World War I there was no conscription. On their shoulder straps of their uniform an orange/red strip of cloth was proudly worn to signify that they were volunteers from South Africa. The only blot on the South Africa's war effort was the terrorist tactics of the "ossewaar brandwag"(literally translated as ox wagon fire watch) an extremist afrikaner nazi orientated bunch of thugs and gutter louts. They used to go around in gangs beating up any South African or allied servicemen they could find on their own or in small groups. Typical gutter louts and bullies. However the South African and allied servicemen took to going anywhere in large groups and many a ossewar brandwag street thug and bully felt the end of heavy hob nailed military boot when caught. After 1948 the ossewar brandwag gutter louts, bullies and terrorists took political power and apartheid was the result. Then 1994 came and the ANC took power. The French have a dictum which states "the more things change, the more they stay the same". Truly did Alon Paton write "Cry the Beloved Country". Relevent for when it was written and for post 1994.

Regards
Neil.