Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early WW2 US troops available now

Pa
Early WW2 US troops have been on the wishlist for long, and Strelets have indicated they might produce some in 2015. Another manufacturer has announced two small sets, including cavalry:
http://bum-german.blogspot.com.es/2014/11/news-novetats-nouveautes-novedades-12.html

There is also about two dozends of other new sets, probably most of them containing some elements previously seen elsewhere. Regards, Pa

S..t, s..t, and again s..t for customers.
These are not early US GIs, they are just Brits [stolen from some metal figures firm].

TommyGn
These are not early US GIs, they are just Brits [stolen from some metal figures firm].

Agreed the "USMC" have a British look to them up to the pouches. Curious to see the cavalry?

I cannot tell whether they have "stolen" anything or just licensed in. Some of their sets contain figures from Emhar, Esci etc. but converted, while others (like the "Kaiser army" set with the AA gun on a truck) unmodified HäT figures.

I find it kinda funny that 1942 is called "early war". (And yes, I do know it was actually the last week of 1941)

BUM/GerMan/Metch are renowned for copying figures. As are Mars, MIR and Hegemony. I think people don't see it as theft, in the same way they don't see downloading a movie or music as theft. But maybe if they considered how the artists are expected to live or survive with no income from sales...?

It's a shame, really, because when BUM do something original, it's usually quite good:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1212

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1170

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1159

Let down technically by their choice of material, but the figures look marvellous. I'd like that sculptor to work for me!

ill wait for early war marines from strelets.im sure they will be better than this.

PDA
I find it kinda funny that 1942 is called "early war". (And yes, I do know it was actually the last week of 1941)

Agreed - if we're talking about 1941/2 and World War 2, please can we refer to it as mid-war?

Steve Pickstock
PDA

Agreed - if we're talking about 1941/2 and World War 2, please can we refer to it as mid-war?

Well, it was early war in the Pacific. Oh, I nearly forgot there was a whole war going on there since 1937. But wait, didn't that one actually start in 1931? And wasn't WW2 as a whole a continuation of WW1 of some sorts? But when did WW1 start - probably as early as 1904, or with the Balkan Wars, or 1914? Definitions, definitions...

Now where did I put that box of late war Afrika Korps troops in winter gear?

Pa
Steve Pickstock
PDA

Well, it was early war in the Pacific. Oh, I nearly forgot there was a whole war going on there since 1937. But wait, didn't that one actually start in 1931? And wasn't WW2 as a whole a continuation of WW1 of some sorts? But when did WW1 start - probably as early as 1904, or with the Balkan Wars, or 1914? Definitions, definitions...

good point.the japanese and chinese were fighting their part of ww2 since the invasion of manchuria in 1931.the pacific war started in 1937 with the invasion of mainland china,a full 4 years before the allies got involved.calling anything anywhere else after 1937 to be early war is a bit of a stretch,since fighting had been taking place for the previous 6 years.but you know when someone mentions early war germans,i kind of know what that is referring to.
so i guess its just all perspective and common sense.

tom s
Pa
Steve Pickstock
PDA

good point.the japanese and chinese were fighting their part of ww2 since the invasion of manchuria in 1931.the pacific war started in 1937 with the invasion of mainland china,a full 4 years before the allies got involved.calling anything anywhere else after 1937 to be early war is a bit of a stretch,since fighting had been taking place for the previous 6 years.but you know when someone mentions early war germans,i kind of know what that is referring to.
so i guess its just all perspective and common sense.
So we all agree that 1942 is not early WW2

Never mind the early/mid bit, the US flag on the Wake Island box looks like the post-1960 version (and this is a Brit pointing it out!)