Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The lamps are going out all over Europe

I produced a lengthy reply but it was deemed to be spam and deleted-not the first time on this forum
So here is the short version

"There were plenty of Volunteers from many "Neutral" nations during WW1 fighting in the Armies of France and Britain, Russia is probably no exception to this rule....."

true but not my point

The instance I give is an example of much more than individuals volunteering and I think you know that. King Albert and Tsar Nicholas II as respective CinCs had arranged for the force to be transferred from the Belgian Yser front to Russia. Armoured cars and all by ship to Archangel. They then fought on the Galician front as a coherent unit. There were many (per head of population) Luxembourgish volunteers in the French army but these had volunteered and had nothing to do with the Luxembourg government's plans.

"Offensive actions in Africa can be considered defensive considering the nature of the warfare and terrain...."

Again true(and I was referring to German East Africa) especially of the Germans with Lettow Vorbeck's campaign but not my point.

The Belgians did have ambitions for territorial gains in German East Africa if not the whole colony as General Smuts indeed feared. Ruanda-Urundi (now two countries Rwanda and Burundi) became a Belgian trusteeship territory.

Both show a fairly flexible interpretation of neutrality. It seems that in both instances the legal implications had been considered and were catered for. I suppose showing how Belgian had been limited and compromised by the neutrality article in the 1839 Treaty is another approach or option. I have never seen anybody support the scrap of paper approach but it does have some valid aspects. The forts and rearmament, larger army etc in the early 1900s seem to suggest the Belgians were not that confident in the Treaty themselves.

RE Liberia
They declared neutrality in 1914

It was reported in the NY Times on Aug 7th 1917 that Liberia had declared War with Germany after a U boat had shelled Monrovia some give the date as Aug 4th and there are a few variations but 1917 not 1914.

Not quite sure what this has do with model plastic soldiers but never mind

David