Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tinting to scale

Aprox 35% lighter in 1/72scale. half the %. Of the scale. Never lighten w white, unless u want to appear like the sun bleached it. Use. Buff, deck tan, etc. Example: use yellow green for to make dark green lighter.

Thanks. I got some lights and I'll try some mixing. Have you got a recommendation for lightening German/Panzer grey?

Why buy panzer grey in the first place if you are to change it to medium grey?
Adding a % of white is fine but we rarely see things in white light alone. The effect can often be like your model has just gone through a chalk storm. Things often take on the hue of what is around them and so on grass a faint amount of green affects neutral colours or whites. Desert, snow scenes, urban scenes would all need a different approach to the standard %age. I prefer to use weathering powders, washes over the stock colour and references to photos of the actual things(where they exist)rather than a formula. The balance between highlight and shadow is hard to achieve and another factor in scaling. I appreciate gamers who accentuate this to make their figures/models visible on a gaming table but that is a practical requirement. The eye is the judge and jury.
I have done this (distance and scaling) with 3D computer modelling and the variables are far more than adding a bit o'white- diffuse colour, ambient colour, translucence, reflection, refraction, bump, displacement for just a few. A quick run through Photoshop also has most of the colour/distance issues in its menu.
I have a model of a Dragon Neubaufahrzeug tank to my left which is basically Panzer grey but if I ran a colour picker over it there would be umpteen variations of that original colour.

David