Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pegasus Russians in Greatcaots at PSR

PDA
...wondering exactly what would be involved in turning some of them into WW1 Russians.

Head swaps I can do. Was the rifle very different, and would the differences show at this scale?

Great figures with some misshapen helmets, so headwaps needed.

About WW1, they carry a lot of submachine and automatic rifles plus the corresponding pouches, which all need to be replaced.

A better starting point will be the Strelets set:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/FirstLook.aspx?id=2391
Only three automatic weapons, the rest looks like an excellent basis for WW1 figures, so much less cost per WW1 figure . Regards, Pa

Thanks Pa.

I will be buying these for WW2 because I have a Berlin street scene I'm working on (and because they are beautiful figures). But I won't be using all the figures - they won't fit! I was wondering about using a few, or even just one or two, of the riflemen.

I just have basic information about the WW1 Russian infantryman, nothing about his WW2 comrade. Could I put a bayonet on these WW2 rifles? Are the packs and bags they have on their backs very far wrong, or are they plausible for WW1?

Re: Pegasus Russians in Greatcoats at PSR

Pa
Yes I noticed the non standard helmets(Ssh-39 being the standard WWII helmet)on some. I reserved judgement until I got the set but they still look strange in the round. I thought they might be the Adrian but not really and they have shown they can do those properly. They don't look like the model 36 so I am stumped or they could be a mistake. They are so different as to look intentional as the other helmets are well done.

David

PDA
I just have basic information about the WW1 Russian infantryman, nothing about his WW2 comrade. Could I put a bayonet on these WW2 rifles? Are the packs and bags they have on their backs very far wrong, or are they plausible for WW1?

You can use a bayonet on most WW2 rifles, including the semi-automatic ones like the Soviet SVT-40.

Typical infantry uniforms and equipment:

WW1 Tsarist

Officers sword
shoulder tabs
Linnemann entrenching tool on right side
canvas haversack over right shoulder (replaced by knapsack slung behind the shoulders by the Guards)
rolled greatcoat (with spare boots in!)
aluminium water bottle and oval mess tin over right shoulder
1/6 of a tent plus poles
gas mask (from 1916 on?)

WW2 Soviet

No officers sword
numbers of automatic rifles
many submachine guns, semi-circular ammo pouches
shoulder tabs from 1943 (late 1942?) on only
entrenching tool and fabric cutter, worn on right hip, with canteen (when available) attached to the belt over this
rolled greatcoat or cape when not wearing the pack
model 1930 brown leather rucksack, uncommon by 1941, replaced by:
model 1938 field pack (khaki green fabric) with loops to attach tent poles etc. (underneath) and greatcoat (horseshoe fashion), ration pouch attached to the belt unterneath the field pack, mess kit (aluminiaum) - all costly and rare after 1941. This pack is not dissimilar to other nations' packs but has several outer pockets sawn onto it.
gasmaks musette bag (usually replacing the field pack)

Hope this helps for a start. Regards, Pa

Thanks Pa.

I have done a quick search for what rifles might have been used in WW1 and WW2. The Mosin-Nagant seems to be the same for both wars.

Could the riflemen in this set be armed with Mosin-Nagant rifles?

I'm thinking they don't look far off, but I don't have the eye for detail that some people have!

Mortars look great too

Let the pics speak for themselves:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=1408

Pegasus joins the likes of, Ceasar, Hat, Redbox and Streletes for really taking a theme to the maximum